Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #1

Turbo front end conversion

Well, I took my 986 in Monday for the front end conversion. I ended up getting the bumper for free and it's the same color as my car, only has 10K miles on it. The headlights are the standard halogens, $600/pair. The fenders are $800/pair but, I've got the bodyshop looking for used one and if it's a significant savings he's going to pick those up, otherwise I'll just go new. Apparently the headlight housings are different, I'm not sure how much those are. And they're debadging the rear.

On down the road, I'm either putting Techart or GT3 style sideskirts on it. And a full Gemballa rear bumper or those diffuser pieces, hadn't decided. The Gemballa bumper would obviously look better and that's probably what I'll do.

Should look like a Turbo cab from the front, at a fraction of the cost.

I'll post pictures when I get it back, it should be about 2 weeks or so.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #2

You should have gone this route. Even cheaper. Turbo front end made for the 986 and you DON'T have to switch out the headlights or fenders.

You can find it here. And best of all, it's Polyurethane like the O.E.M. and not Fiberglass.
http://www.nrauto.com/sub_index.asp?makeid=Porsche&spage=Parts

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 04-18-2007 at 01:05 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #3

could've gone that route but, this is actually going to be cheaper. I like the Turbo lights better anyway.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
could've gone that route but, this is actually going to be cheaper. I like the Turbo lights better anyway.
I too like the turbo lights better, but how is it cheaper? 800 + 600 = $1,400.00 plus painting??!, VS. $1,195.00 plus painting.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #5

Your also gonna need a new headlight housing, harness, brackets, fender splash guards, etc. I used to have the whole list because I wanted to do it... it wasn't too pretty. I priced it out to almost $10k. But it does make it look sick (RUF 3400S style).
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:36 AM   #6

If you don't mind dishing out some real buck, you can always go this route. Changes the entire front end, fenders, hood and bumper. http://www.z-art.biz/porschetuning/boxstertuning/index.html
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #7

well maybe not cheaper but, imo better looking.

the guy that's doing the conversion for me has done many conversions for friends of mine and i gave him that business. he's also done conversions for my father and is cutting me a significant deal on this. if i didn't already have the 996 turbo front bumper painted to match, i would've just left it alone. but, a turbo bumper vs. stock, which would you choose?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
congrats man, if u got the money y the hell not?

post up some pics when u get the beast back. while youre at it, match up the bumper w a twin turbo engine heheh
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #9

I like my GT3 front

Here is my GT3 front, It changes the whole look of the car. I will get the skirts to go with it shortly. Man I love this car...!!
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #10

Spyder, sorry to bring this thread up from the grave. Is this an O.E.M turbo bumper or 3rd party (yellow boxster pic)

I would like to install this bumper but OEM only.

Thanks!

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 04-23-2007 at 05:48 AM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
Spyder, sorry to bring this thread up from the grave. Is this an O.E.M turbo bumper or 3rd party (yellow boxster pic)

I would like to install this bumper but OEM only.

Thanks!
It is not an O.E.M. turbo bumper. If it was, you would have to change out the headlights and fenders because they won't work with our stock 986 parts. The O.E.M. trubo bumper uses a different shaped headlight. Have you been reading this thread from the begining? By O.E.M., I'm refering to the material that is used in the twin turbo bumper(yellow boxster pic) it is made of Polyurethane like our front bumbers currently are from the factory. If you like that bumper, check out the link I posted next to the yellow boxster pic. Then find the one that says "Twin Turbo Bumper"