986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Window not dropping intermittently (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64043-window-not-dropping-intermittently.html)

BigBadAl 10-29-2016 12:02 AM

Window not dropping intermittently

Hi everyone.

I have just purchased a 2001 boxster abs chuffed as punch with it.

I know the subject has been covered many times but my window dropping issue seems to be intermitent.

Sometimes the window drops when I open the door and sometimes it doesn't. I have also noticed that when the window doesn't drop, the interior light doesn't come on in the car and things like the lights left on alarm doesn't work.

I am guessing it is a sticky micro switch somewhere? But was hoping for some pointers. Thanks in advance

particlewave 10-29-2016 06:07 AM

Door latch microswitch.

rexcramer 10-29-2016 08:33 AM

Chuffed = happy. :D I looked it up.

As for 'punch', I thought you'all drank warm Guinness.

Does it happen with both the inside and outside handles or just one?

BigBadAl 10-29-2016 10:38 AM

Sadly we drink anything with alcohol!

Same problem on both handles unfortunately

Is there a thread worth instructions to change the micro switch?

rexcramer 10-29-2016 07:16 PM

If it is happening with both handles, I think you should take a look at the cable of the window regulator. They are known to stretch and can be finicky. Pelican Parts has a great tech article on this. I have replaced both of mine. Reasonably straight forward project. No special tools, just patience and getting your head around all that is going on with the switches and the cable, door open/closed. Keep posting what you find on your quest.

Porsche Boxster Window Regulator Replacement / Window Switch Replacement / Window Motor Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

particlewave 10-29-2016 09:47 PM

The interior light not coming on when the window doesn't drop says it's definitely the door latch microswitch, not cable related. ;)

You could try to disassemble the latch to replace the microswitch, but it might just be easier to replace the whole latch (that's what others have done). You might contact Woody for a decent priced used replacement.

Coaster 10-30-2016 08:58 AM

I don't know about UK cars but my door switch is held in by triple square spline headed bolts. Just replaced mine yesterday. O'Riley had a 4 piece kit for about $7. The first time I did it it took a good while because I was new and moving slow. The second time was closer to 45 mins and I still could have gone faster. I did break the corner piece that holds the mirror buttons.