986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rear trunk opening motor....have you removed this...if so HELP (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/63817-rear-trunk-opening-motor-have-you-removed-if-so-help.html)

Pdwight 10-21-2016 02:44 PM

Rear trunk opening motor....have you removed this...if so HELP

I finally found my emergency trunk release and got the trunk open. What I though was going to be a quick job has turned out to be otherwise. I can see no way to remove the motor devise without taking out a boat load of screws and fasteners....which I already have. The last two are behind the tubes on each side and are torx or star and I can get them out but is the nut captive....if not I do not see how I can ever get them back in place. This is proving more frustrating than replacing the motor mount and I can see everything right in front of me. I had to take a break because I had gotten to that point.

Thanks in advance for any help

Dwight

JayG 10-21-2016 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you referring to the solenoid that operates the latch?

IIRC, you just pull back the carpet on the back of the trunk
remove the plastic latch cove plastic and wiggle the solenoid out
I replaced mine and it took maybe 15 min total

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/12639-rear-trunk-release-not-working-on-remote/
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.X986.512.117.00.TRS5&_nkw=986.512.117.00&_s acat=0

the motor #13 is for the spoiler

#22 in the picture is the solenoid (they call it an actuator) 986.512.117.00

Pdwight 10-21-2016 05:22 PM

Thanks

This is what you get trying to work on something without research first and after a long day at work....yes the Solenoid is open according to my Fluke so I will need a replacement. I put it all back together until I get a new one. I still never saw how to actually get it out...what actually retains it in place ??

I was trying to remove the entire back spoiler plate assembly.

Strange I could not find much on this subject online...lots of folks with broken cables but no one with a bad solenoid. I was pleased that my cables looked like brand new and even though that little cursed clip popped off into oblivion I found it and reinstalled on reassembly. I simply left my emergency cable sticking out of the panel inside my back tire until I can get parts.

JayG 10-21-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 513915)
This is what you get trying to work on something without research first and after a long day at work....yes the Solenoid is open according to my Fluke so I will need a replacement. I put it all back together until I get a new one. I still never saw how to actually get it out...what actually retains it in place ??

I was trying to remove the entire back spoiler plate assembly.

Strange I could not find much on this subject online...lots of folks with broken cables but no one with a bad solenoid. I was pleased that my cables looked like brand new and even though that little cursed clip popped off into oblivion I found it and reinstalled on reassembly. I simply left my emergency cable sticking out of the panel inside my back tire until I can get parts.

it just fits in by friction, you just wiggle it out. The actual solenoid is wrapped in foam rubber and stays that way as shown in the renntech link
the cable assembly is retained by a bracket on the lock assembly

it really is a 10-15 min job

on mine, the cable broke. I tried to repair it and found a few threads on the web about repairing it, but could not get solder to hold. Probably I was not able to get it hot enough with my soldering gun

Pdwight 10-21-2016 07:03 PM

Really appreciate the help Jay

I will see if Woody has one or order a new one....amazing it just wedges in

JayG 10-21-2016 07:05 PM

If woody does not have one, look on ebay

Pdwight 10-21-2016 07:06 PM

Found one

Ebay had one for 25 bucks shipped....hopefully on its way

NewArt 07-13-2017 02:19 PM

I just replaced the trunk release actuator. It was really quite easy. Only 2 screws to undo: they attach the black plastic latch cover to the body. 2 plastic buttons to pull back the trunk liner. One small clip to remove the cable. And then pull/wiggle the whole unit out from the side towards the tail light. Undo the electical connection. Push the new unit into place while fishing the wire loop back to it's place and snap the white plastic connector into place. Attach the loop and secure it (them) with the small clip. And Bob's yer uncle! :)

GTA_G20 07-14-2017 09:35 AM

Subscribed. Need to do this