986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Electrical issue help..... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/63812-electrical-issue-help.html)

joekluger 10-21-2016 12:49 PM

Electrical issue help.....

2000 Boxster S. Suddenly my courtesy lights, cig lighter, windows and convertible top stopped working. Fuses are good. Is there a master fuse. Please help.. cant put my top back up

Meir 10-21-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joekluger (Post 513886)
2000 Boxster S. Suddenly my courtesy lights, cig lighter, windows and convertible top stopped working. Fuses are good. Is there a master fuse. Please help.. cant put my top back up

other than what you mentioned, car starts and runs good?
how is the carpet under your seat feels like?
stick your hand in there and let us know if it comes out wet

joekluger 10-21-2016 01:42 PM

got the top working but nothing else. Forgot to to pull emer brake. will look for wet spots under the seat. Car wont start cus i try to start but i here a click and the engine turns about 1/2 inch and stops. put in a new battery today and same condition. thinking its the starter. All worked before i changed the battery except the starter.

joekluger 10-21-2016 01:49 PM

All dry under the seat...

particlewave 10-21-2016 01:54 PM

A bad starter won't make the orientation lights not work.

Check the battery posts and clamps to make sure that they are clean. Check ground cable at grounding point.
Verify that the CLU has not gotten wet, then replace your ignition switch.

joekluger 10-21-2016 02:07 PM

what is the CLU? and why replace the ignition switch?Battery posts were cleaned well before installing the new battery. Windows did close with holding the key in the door on lock. will not open now. Thanks for help

Steve Tinker 10-21-2016 03:16 PM

The CLU is the security unit mounted under the drivers seat....

Use the search function @ top of page "ignition switch".
The electrical portion of the switch (mounted at the bottom of the mechanical tumbler assembly) is notorious for failing causing all sorts of electrical gremlins.

particlewave 10-21-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 513908)
The CLU is the security unit mounted under the drivers seat....

Use the search function @ top of page "ignition switch".
The electrical portion of the switch (mounted at the bottom of the mechanical tumbler assembly) is notorious for failing causing all sorts of electrical gremlins.

This ^

When weird electrical behavior appears that has no other obvious related causes, it usually turns out to be the ignition switch.
At around $20 and about 10 minutes to swap it out, it can't hurt to try. Also, if your switch isn't failing, it will eventually. It's good to have one on hand. ;)

The reason I suspect it is that I traced your problem circuits and the only thing I can find in common aside from the battery is the switch.
I'll admit that I've never heard of a starter issue related to the switch, but it should be eliminated, anyway.

joekluger 10-22-2016 05:29 AM

OK guys will switch out the ignition switch and report back. All this help is appreciated.

joekluger 10-24-2016 07:36 AM

Replaced ignition switch and still no courtesy lights and no power windows. Where to look now. as i noted fuses are good.

Gelbster 10-24-2016 07:55 AM

Swap the 'good' fuses for new ones as a confirmatory test ?

particlewave 10-24-2016 08:18 AM

Jump the start lock relay. If it doesn't crank full speed, it's not getting enough power. Either a bad battery, starter or connection.

The cig lighter is connected directly to the battery via a fuse and current distributor. What's the voltage reading at the battery and at the cig lighter?

Smallblock454 10-24-2016 09:19 AM

Is this a USA or a ROW 986 S from MY 2000?

Regards, Markus

particlewave 10-24-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallblock454 (Post 514235)
Is this a USA or a ROW 986 S from MY 2000?

Regards, Markus

Since he's in New Jersey, I've been assuming US spec.
You never know, though.

Gilles 10-24-2016 10:44 AM

JoeKluger,

I had similar symptoms..

You may want to follow the cable from the positive on the battery to a funky round type connector on the firewall, mine (an '07) had signs of corrosion that I cleaned with a toothbrush and afterwards reinstalled with a light coat of dielectric grease.

good luck

joekluger 10-24-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 514229)
Jump the start lock relay. If it doesn't crank full speed, it's not getting enough power. Either a bad battery, starter or connection.

The cig lighter is connected directly to the battery via a fuse and current distributor. What's the voltage reading at the battery and at the cig lighter?

cranks good. no voltage to cig lighter

particlewave 10-24-2016 11:51 AM

Cranks good when start lock is bypassed, but no start?

Check for voltage at fuse D5. If no voltage, then check at current distributor fusible link F2.
I think you may have a bad connection at the current distributor firewall connection (probably on the outside, not in the cabin).

You can have good voltage at the distributor, but still have a bad connection not letting enough current through. Always clean connections. ;)

particlewave 10-24-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 514249)
JoeKluger,

I had similar symptoms..

You may want to follow the cable from the positive on the battery to a funky round type connector on the firewall, mine (an '07) had signs of corrosion that I cleaned with a toothbrush and afterwards reinstalled with a light coat of dielectric grease.

good luck

What he said. ;)

joekluger 10-24-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 514257)
Cranks good when start lock is bypassed, but no start?

Check for voltage at fuse D5. If no voltage, then check at current distributor fusible link F2.
I think you may have a bad connection at the current distributor firewall connection (probably on the outside, not in the cabin).

You can have good voltage at the distributor, but still have a bad connection not letting enough current through. Always clean connections. ;)

cranks good and starts and runs good. will check the plug on the firewall

joekluger 10-25-2016 01:18 PM

I think i have the wrong connector. The pos leads to a bolt on the firewall( red circle). Is this what you are referring to? Or is there another connector?http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1477430295.jpg