Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

New Boxster Owner

Hello Everyone

I just purchased a 2001 Boxster base with 100K on it.
I did not pay much for it
Looks like a fun little hobby for me.

Needs brakes and I'm told O2 sensors

How would I find out which O2 sensor needs replacing?

Thanks for any help/advice

Mike

mike914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

Welcome,

Sometimes the 02 sensor is just a vacum leak.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
2007 Cayman S

New Boxster Owner

Welcome! I have had my 02 Boxster for just over a year. Lots of fun. I live in Rochester Hills, Michigan. Where are you located? Can't help you with the O2 sensors, but I just replaced rotors and pads all the way around this summer - easy peasy. Depending on where you live, I may be able to help with a mechanic recommendation for the O2 issue. If I can be of any help, send me a PM and let's talk on the phone. Welcome!

David Preston
por356c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

Michigan

Hello David

I live in Highland.

Yes the brakes and rotors should be easy.

Once Im done with those I will PM you, and thank you for offering some help.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by por356c View Post
Welcome! I have had my 02 Boxster for just over a year. Lots of fun. I live in Rochester Hills, Michigan. Where are you located? Can't help you with the O2 sensors, but I just replaced rotors and pads all the way around this summer - easy peasy. Depending on where you live, I may be able to help with a mechanic recommendation for the O2 issue. If I can be of any help, send me a PM and let's talk on the phone. Welcome!

David Preston
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #6

Vacume leak

Hello Fanguy

I did hear that the o2 sensors could be masked by a vacuum leak.

I would suspect a vacuum leak would exhibit a fluctuating idle or poor running.

My car starts right up and runs very well.

Thanks

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanguy View Post
Welcome,

Sometimes the 02 sensor is just a vacum leak.

Last edited by mike914; 10-18-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

thanks Martha

thanks Martha
Old 10-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
O2 sensors are expensive and there are four of them. Depending on your mechanical abilities, look for the vacuum leak or leaks. They can be a deep rabbit hole that can trigger a lot of different error codes. Buy a code reader, if you don't have one, and you can reset/turn off most codes.

I had my battery out for several days. After I put it back in, I had 1124 and 1126 pop up several times over a week, as the car learned what to do with Calif 91 octane gas. The cars are sensitive and throw codes.

I would suggest that you find a local indy mechanic that knows Boxsters, just in case. See if there is a local PCA chapter. They can be a huge hands on local resource also.

Welcome and congrats on the new car. And kudos for the proper color befitting any Porsche.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

Sounds good to me JamesVM
Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #10

Thanks rexcramer

Ill start looking for a code reader
Old 10-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Welcome and congrats!

O2 sensors are NOT that expensive...$74 on Amazon in March of 2015 for OEM Bosch 15182 upstream sensor. Thing is, lots of folks seem to want to replace all 4 at once if one is throwing a code.

My take is that the OBD-II code will tell you which sensor(s) are having issues. First thing I did was note and then clear the code to see if/when it came back. Over the course of a few years, I would sporadically get the same O2 code....maybe once every 6 months or so. Once the code finally started to pop up more frequently, I bought and installed the one offending sensor, March of 2015year. No codes since.
BTW, my 2000S has just under 132K miles.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
2007 Cayman S

Hi James - M3 would be fun. Maybe we can get together before the season ends - which is not far off, sadly! Send Mike and I a PM!

Thanks.

David Preston
Rochester Hills
por356c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #13

Hello Mike,

welcome to the forum from Germany…

Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #14

OBD-II code reader

Thanks dghii

I like you idea, do you know which OBD-II code reader I should borrow/Buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Welcome and congrats!

O2 sensors are NOT that expensive...$74 on Amazon in March of 2015 for OEM Bosch 15182 upstream sensor. Thing is, lots of folks seem to want to replace all 4 at once if one is throwing a code.

My take is that the OBD-II code will tell you which sensor(s) are having issues. First thing I did was note and then clear the code to see if/when it came back. Over the course of a few years, I would sporadically get the same O2 code....maybe once every 6 months or so. Once the code finally started to pop up more frequently, I bought and installed the one offending sensor, March of 2015year. No codes since.
BTW, my 2000S has just under 132K miles.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #15

What is M3, I work off the m59 corridor you guys are mentioning about a mile from the old Silverdome.
Oh, and a good scanner and even some cheap apps like Torque, can monitor individual oxygen sensors output so you can scroll through each one and see the reads to look for a funny one
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #16

I have a very generic WalMart OBD-II reader years ago for under$50. Itworks in all our cars and gets me in the ballpark every time.

Check Amazon or Harbor Freight.

Keep in mind these inexpensive readers will not pinpoint every Porsche specific problem. Will definitely help with O2 codes or misfires.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #17

O2 sensors can be done with a special wrench designed to let the wires pass through the opening in the wrench. Once you have read the codes (and thus know which one is faulting) and, if you don't want to do the job yourself, I found any muffler shop can do it in 15 minutes if you have the part. Most of that time is waiting for the exhaust system to cool down.

And the parts are made by Bosch and then relabeled by Porsche so buying the appropriate Bosch part number gets you the exactly right part for much less money. List of part numbers towards the .
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
O2 sensors can be done with a special wrench designed to let the wires pass through the opening in the wrench. Once you have read the codes (and thus know which one is faulting) and, if you don't want to do the job yourself, I found any muffler shop can do it in 15 minutes if you have the part. Most of that time is waiting for the exhaust system to cool down.

And the parts are made by Bosch and then relabeled by Porsche so buying the appropriate Bosch part number gets you the exactly right part for much less money. List of part numbers towards the .
The 'special tool' is a socket with a slot for he wire. They are $5 at harbor freight. Can also try to use an open end wrench.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #19

BTW, to the new OP. You need to visit Mike Focke's website! Great resource, including O2 part numbers and loads of info on the workings of the convertible top.

Big thank you to Mike for keeping the site up even though he's Boxsterless.....
Old 10-21-2016, 04:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVM View Post
Oh yes, I know about M1 but you guys said M3 and when it was repeated I assumed it was not a typo and something new. I have stopped in there but have not been to any of the cars and coffee or track days yet but I will run into you guys there at some point if not in my Boxster I'll be in my TT. BTW, a friend of mine runs the service station at Woodward and Square Lake down the street, he just got a new $40k alignment rack in case you guys need to do a "track worthy" alignment, I get to do my own on his rack and it took me 3 tries to get the TT dialed in playing with camber mostly (it's front heavy unlike the Boxster) but I now have it right where I like it. Now I just got the Cayman 18" rims for the Boxster with 235 fronts so I will have to redial in the Boxster most likely.

Last edited by bwdz; 10-21-2016 at 04:50 AM.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote