Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

top issue

Went to go for a ride Saturady and decided to lower the top and all seemed good until I get on the Street and see the red light that the top isn't completely open. I hit the botton to open it and nothing happens. I try and put the top up and only the clam Shell opens put the top won't come up. I pull back in the garaje I finally manage to put the top up by hitting the button and helping the top by hand. I'm not sure what the next step is? What is bad or how i get to it. Any help would be appreciated.

tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

did you hear any loud popping sounds when operating the top? if the clamshell is moving it means your transmissions are not busted but probably the plastic balljoints connecting to the top itself have either popped out or are broken. it's common and an easy enough thing to fix if that's the case.

read up to learn more about how to diagnose:
Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

your light most likely came on because the top didnt close all the way down and your microswitches detected that, things maybe went south at that final step when the top and clamshell are pulled down securely just before the light would go off on the dash.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #3

Thanks Cris. Yes exactly what happened. The clamshell didn't lock down. I didn't hear any popping or noise indicating something hanging up or breaking. I'll check out the link you sent to see if I can figure it out or will need some help.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #4

yes do some research to learn how the mechanism works it's actually quite simple once you spend some time understanding it. dont despair, i think you will have a cheap fix one way or the other. if the plastic ball joints popped off and they are not broken you might be able to just pop them back in, if they are broken get some used ones from woody, Porsche doesnt sell you the platic bit that breaks only the entire arm which is not too expensive anyway.

easiest way to check is with the top down and removing the "banana" shaped plastic covers that are on the sides of the clamshell, it will give you perfect access to what i'm talking about. if you need to pop something out to make the top work in "manual" mode read the manual it says what tool to use (you have it in the tool case)

if you get stuck PM me and i can maybe help out i've spent entirely too much time trying to fix mine and went through the entire system until i figured out it was a bad top relay.

good luck with it!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:05 AM   #5

Thanks I appreciate it.