Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Garage
Got check engine lite solid

Car is driving and shifting smooth (tiptronic) and auto. Brought it up to about 94 today in auto mode and put the petal down, did feel the down shift and then check engine light came on. Doesn't seem to be affecting drivability.
I just purchased it, 2003 with 26K, then had it checked at Foreign Affair Motorsport in Pompano beach. Oil just changed, brakes bled, got a clean bill of health.
I'm thinking it's the MAS, and new Air Filters.
Any recommendations?

Wizzard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah. Read the CEL code.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Garage
Where is it, do I have to plug into the onboard diagnostic port. If so what's the best one to get.
Wizzard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Take it to Autozone, etc. and have them pull the codes for you. They will usually do it for free or loan you the tool.

You can buy a simple OBDII reader for under $100 anywhere. That will allow you to read codes and reset simple things.

Or you can spend +/-$300 for a Durametric and really tunnel in to Porsche specific issues. You will need a laptop that meets their requirements for it to work. It is a software and cable package. Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric

Get the codes and then use the search function to do some background reading and then follow up with questions. Good luck.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

I bought the cheapy reader from HB for $50 then I see them clones on EBay for $39. Basic is good enough for most codes as it will lead you to the general problem area. It will tell you readiness codes for smog too.

Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote