Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Modified stock exhaust by nineauto

Anyone here gone this route?

https://nineauto.com.au/2016/04/14/exhaust-modifications-without-the-drone/

Looks easy enough to do. How loud?

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

Nineauto are a Melbourne (Australia) company with a good rep here - though a long way from the US / Canada.
This is the first time I have heard of their exhaust mods, perhaps another Aussie member will comment.....
Old 02-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

Has anyone opened up their stock exhaust with the goal of getting it back together in a presentable manner? Best way to split the seam? I'm thinking I want to give this a go.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Has anyone opened up their stock exhaust with the goal of getting it back together in a presentable manner? Best way to split the seam? I'm thinking I want to give this a go.

I have a Carnewal modified exhaust. These are popular in UK and Europe. It's cut open and internally modified.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. If at all possible, could you put up a photo or two of where the two halves reseal so I could see how it was done?
Old 02-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?/topic/59044-edcs-550-anniversary/&page=8

You may need to register to see it but it's an angle grinder job.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

Great! Thanks. So carnewal cuts a window in the top and welds it back up. Doesn't leave a lot of room for welding inside. I assume they do a different mod. I think the seam split is still my goal.
I need a metre of perf pipe and two times MUFF PACK
I'll fill the remaining cavity with loose fill fibreglass packing.

Result should be quiet, nice sounding, and free flowing without drone.
I've been looking at Magnaflows but the volume is too small or the internal piping is too big.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #8

I too am looking at a muffler modification. I really like the "cleaner" look of no bypass pipes and I think Charles has made the best home mod attempt so far by opening a small window and drilling the pipes. A fister mod sounds really nice but just too expensive and might as well spring for a little more and get a high performance exhaust system.

The only issue I see with the absorption style mod you are talking about is the need to repack it periodically. I would really like to know how long nineauto guarantees their work before a repack is required.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #9

If one were to only use stainless or ceramic packing I would think that it would last almost indefinitely. Worst case scenario is that it needs to be reopened and packed every few years. The cutting and rewelding on a regular basis would get old. A riveted closure would make it more reasonable. I have practice repacking my bike mufflers.

I'm not a fan of the sound of the Crios mod or bypass pipes and can't deal with an overly loud muffler or drone.