Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
cartagena

Question about Tiptronic

I just got my car a couple days ago and have never owned a tiptronic transmission before.

When I am driving it in manual mode, if I push the buttons on the steering wheel it will automatically go into standard mode without me needing to touch the shifter. Is this normal and how it is suppose to work? What is the point of having the control on the shifter as well if it can be activated by the steering wheel controls? I actually find it a little annoying since I accidentally pushed the button on the steering wheel while driving and it went into standard mode unexpectedly.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #2

Hi,

You're confusing Tiptronic S with Porsche's old Sportmatic transmission from the '70's. Both are Selectable Automatics, not the Clutchless Manual transmissions found in Audi, BMW and Ferrari

With the Sportmatic, you shifted gears by moving the Gearshift (no buttons on the Wheel), not so with the Tiptronic S.

With Tiptronic S, if you select 'D', the Transmission does it all, selecting the appropriate gear to match the RPMs. But, putting the Gearshift in the 'M' position, and you can only select a different gear with the buttons on the Steering Wheel, not the Gearshift. When decelerating, the Transmission will automatically downshift as you brake. Also, the Tiptronic S starts in 2nd gear. 1st can be manually selected from a stop, but not necessary because it is such a short gear. Also, if manually downshifting (not really necessary), avoid shifts to 1st gear as this will throw out the 'Boat Anchor' and really overstress the drivetrain components. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
cartagena

I am not confusing the two transmissions since I did not even know the older one existed. I am just did not write my question using the proper lingo or clearly enough.

The fact that I can change gears from the steering wheel regardless if the shifter is on M or D is normal from what I am gathering from your answer.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #4

Hi,

No, you cannot select the gear if the Tranasmission is in 'D', if this is the case with your Car, then there is a fault, probably in either the Control Unit or in the Linkage. The Linkage contains an electronic switch and these have been known to become stuck due to dirt and grease which can accumulate around it. I have a friend who had the opposite problem, he could not shift into Manual mode. The Dealer cleaned and lubricated the linkage and this solved the problem, perhaps this may be the same with yours. Hope this helps...

Old 06-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
cartagena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

No, you cannot select the gear if the Tranasmission is in 'D', if this is the case with your Car, then there is a fault, probably in either the Control Unit or in the Linkage. The Linkage contains an electronic switch and these have been known to become stuck due to dirt and grease which can accumulate around it. I have a friend who had the opposite problem, he could not shift into Manual mode. The Dealer cleaned and lubricated the linkage and this solved the problem, perhaps this may be the same with yours. Hope this helps...

I thought it seemed strange that I can switch in D.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
I thought it seemed strange that I can switch in D.
Hi,

Yes it is strange. It may also be simply an adjustment to the Linkage. Hope this helps...

Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
fab

cartagena-

I have a tip. I'll be in baby soon and I'll let you know if I can switch to M using the buttons while the shift knob is still in the D position. I think I can but I'll confirm.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
fab

Being in 'D" mode as soon as I touched my buttons on my steering wheel I notice I went into a manual mode.

Can other tip owners do this?
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 06-07-2006, 05:36 AM   #9

Absolutely! There's nothing wrong with your transmission if you can do this. I can put mine in "D" and cruise around, but if I touch any of the steering wheel buttons to upshift or downshift, it automatically goes into manual mode, but will return to automatic mode once I'm done playing with the shift buttons. I never have to touch the shift knob to use this feature.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Being in 'D" mode as soon as I touched my buttons on my steering wheel I notice I went into a manual mode.

Can other tip owners do this?

Yes, I can do this. I hope it is supposed to do that. Perhaps MNBoxster is taking the statement "while shifter is in D" to mean the same thing as "transmission is in D" when (I hope) in fact you can have your shifter in D but the transmission is in M. That happens when you hit the stearing wheel buttons without changing the shifter.

This happens to me a lot on sharp turns. Im in D (both shifter and tran), then accidently hit the steering wheel button which puts transm in M but my shifter hasnt moved. The dash indicator for what gear you are in will indicate M, even though shifter in D position. I then have to quickly put shifter to M, then back to D to put transmission back to D.

I hope i am understanding the discussion properly. Otherwise i sound like an idiot. Par for the course for me i guess.
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:57 AM   #11
fab

hake-
your right on the money!
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 06-07-2006, 06:06 AM   #12

The '06 Tips have a temporary manual mode which allows the driver to upshift and downshift using the buttons, with the shifter in "D". After a few seconds it goes back to full auto.
All is well if your new car is behaving this way.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
cartagena

Yes, this is exactly what happens to me which is why I find this feature weird. It would be better if this could be turned off as it could cause a distraction. I am grad to hear mine is working the way it "should" be though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hake
This happens to me a lot on sharp turns. Im in D (both shifter and tran), then accidently hit the steering wheel button which puts transm in M but my shifter hasnt moved. The dash indicator for what gear you are in will indicate M, even though shifter in D position. I then have to quickly put shifter to M, then back to D to put transmission back to D.

I hope i am understanding the discussion properly. Otherwise i sound like an idiot. Par for the course for me i guess.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #14

According to Porsches 2001 prospective buyers 80 page brochure, yes you can shift when in D. "A new Tiptronic S feature allows you to instantly take control of the shifting even when the gearshift lever is in automatic. At the press of a rocker switch, the system reverts to manual mode for at least eight seconds, allowing your fingertips to shift gears on the fly, and devour unsuspecting hairpins at will."

Wow my first post and it's an answer/observation and not a newbie question. I've had my Speed Yellow 2001 S w/ Tip about 2 1/2 weeks and love it. Just wish it wasn't so hot here in AZ. Can't drive it during the day it's just too hot. 106.

Chris
Old 06-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #15

Whether or not the temporary manual feature is an advantage is, I suppose, a matter of opinion.
As the owner of a Tiptronic car ('99) without this feature, I can tell you that I personally have wished there was a way I could drop down a gear without mashing the accelerator to activate the kick-down, or employing the two-step shift to M, then click the button.

As to whether there is a way to turn this feature off, a thorough reading of your owner's manual should clear it up.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #16

I have a 2002 S with Tip, and I frequently downshift while in D using the buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #17

Hi,

Well, it just goes to show you that no one can know everything about these cars. This is entirely new to me and I was incorrect in my earlier post.

My '99 will not do this confirmed by the Owners Manual. I have researched and can find nothing about the MY that this capability was added.

As mentioned, it is a matter of taste, but I think I prefer not having it. With the original 4-spoke wheel, it wouldn't present much of a nuisance. But with the 3-spoke Sport Wheel, I know from personal experience that you often hit the Selector Buttons accidentally and this could be unsettling to have the tranny shift at inopportune times...

Happy Motoring!... Jim '99
Old 06-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #18

Ref "...I have researched and can find nothing about the MY that this capability was added."

Apparently it was added for the 2000 model year. Brian Long's book "Porsche Boxster", in the chapter "The Boxster in the New Millenium" reviews all the changes for the 2000 cars, and states:

"The 2.7 litre model still had a five-speed Tiptronic S option, but with a taller 3.33:1 axle ratio, a modified selector housing and lever, and a new control unit that allowed a brief manual override via the steering wheel buttons even when the lever was in the 'D' position ...".

News to me, too, as I thought the feature was added much later.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #19
cartagena

Thanks for all your answer. They have been very helpful. Does anyone know where I can download a users manual?