986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Searched to the end of the internet..or "more exhaust questions" (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/63333-searched-end-internet-more-exhaust-questions.html)

IH8snow 09-27-2016 10:18 AM

Searched to the end of the internet..or "more exhaust questions"

Searched to find an all encompassing thread on exhaust but didn't get there....

Car/Background..
2001 Boxster S Seal Grey
Not daily driver, just nice day driver
Looking for nice growl, not "tuner" sound

My plan so far...

Topped cat back muffler
Topped test pipes
Easy clamps

Questions I feel as if I need clarification for...

-The Test pipes delete the secondary cats not both, so no need to worry about the o2 sensor or CEL?

-If they delete both sets of cats, how problematic has it been?

-There was mention somewhere of a "Flexible crossbar" that could be loosened to negate the need to remove the rear bumper during muffler install, can someone expand on this or point me in a direction?

Thanks in advance!

Sound clips of anyone running this set-up would be worth 10 internets to anyone

tommy583 09-27-2016 12:28 PM

Yes test pipes will only delete the rear cats, so no problems with CEL's. The O2 sensors only monitor the front cats. About changing the muffler, it has been said that you can reach the top bolts without removing the bumper. Hope this helps.

Keith Newby 09-27-2016 12:31 PM

I tried like hell to remove the stock muffler without removing the bumper cover on my 2000. Couldn't do it and resorted to removing the cover. I suppose it depends on the model year.

steved0x 09-27-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IH8snow (Post 511389)
2001 Boxster S Seal Grey

-The Test pipes delete the secondary cats not both, so no need to worry about the o2 sensor or CEL?

On 2000-2004 there are two sets of cats - the first is integrated into the "headers", the second is in the mid pipes after the first set of cats and before the muffler. You can delete this with no CEL concerns, since only the first set of cats is monitored by the OBDII system.

I personally have the "Topspeed" cat delete pipes. I like them :)

Quote:

-There was mention somewhere of a "Flexible crossbar" that could be loosened to negate the need to remove the rear bumper during muffler install, can someone expand on this or point me in a direction?

In my opinion that is crazy talk :) It is sooo much easier to take the bumper off, and it really doesn't take that long. I was afraid to do it for the longest time due to the spoiler rivets of all reasons, but it was very easy.

If You were thinking of doing a spoiler decal, this would be a great time to do it. Much easier when the spoiler is off.

I did the Beluga racing exhaust, I am liking it pretty good too.

Quote:

Searched to find an all encompassing thread on exhaust but didn't get there....

Car/Background..
2001 Boxster S Seal Grey
Looking for nice growl, not "tuner" sound

My plan so far...

Topped cat back muffler
Topped test pipes
Easy clamps

Questions I feel as if I need clarification for...

-If they delete both sets of cats, how problematic has it been?

Thanks in advance!

Sound clips of anyone running this set-up would be worth 10 internets to anyone

CrisZenithBlue 09-27-2016 02:18 PM

I didn't take the bumper off but I do admit it's a lot easier. I just try to remove as few things as I can possibly get away with.

I just removed the screws on the lower aide of the bumper(connecting to the heat shields) and the corner ones in the wheel well and just pushed it out a bit while still being attached on the top with the spoiler screws. I was able to reach the two screws on the original muffler. Once that's out the top speed exhaust goes in regardless of the bumper being on or off due to the double can design.

flaps10 09-28-2016 10:05 AM

I'm from the camp that has never removed my bumper. Doing the exhaust is one of the less challenging tasks on the boxster.

Warning: You're going to get "tuner sound" with that combination. I can burble out of my neighborhood without getting stink eye and it makes some cool sounds under modest acceleration and when you back off. It's louder that #*&%# in a tunnel if you nail it and very raspy.

Great if you're 19. I'm 52.

I probably should have stayed with my original intent which was the Fister mod and secondary delete pipes, but I wanted the weight reduction (not to mention the ease of access to much of the rear of the car from underneath).

My search continues.

Need_for_speed 09-28-2016 11:26 AM

This might help...

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61477-headers-exhaust-2000-boxster-s.html

steved0x 09-28-2016 02:58 PM

I am impressed with you guys that kept the bumper on...

10/10ths 09-28-2016 03:14 PM

If you have a lift....

.....it's a LOT easier to R&R the muffler with the bumper in place, but it's still a pain. Doable. But a knuckle slicer.

As far as sound goes, I'm an older guy and I simply changed the muffler out for an FVD Brombacher "Sound Version" muffler.

The sound is PERFECT for a real world, cross-country, daily driver, for old farts.

This muffler gives a little burble and pop on high RPM decel, sounds AWESOME at full throttle inside the car, and doesn't drone too loudly below 3,000 rpm like many others do.

I have all stock headers and all the stock cats.

Now, this muffler is STUPID expensive. BUT, it's made out of T316 stainless instead of the usual T304, so it stays polished and shiny, the tips turn gold, and the sound is a bit deeper.

I love it.

If you want to really turn heads and get attention, this is NOT the way to go.

If you want just that little bit more exotic sound, with a great looking set of tips (insert joke here) then this is the way to go.

I researched for a year before settling on the FVD. I listened to a lot of cars.

If you want to really sound like a GT3 at LeMans, just buy the Fabspeed and call it a day.

Good luck!

Finnegan 09-28-2016 03:48 PM

Stupid expensive is right! Here's a nice review:
FVD Brombacher Exhaust Review

Finnegan 04-05-2018 09:39 AM

Update: (still searching for an affordable burble..)

Exhaust System "Brombacher" 986/S -04 (Sound Version), 200 Cell Cats, Tips 2x90mm
Part #: BES 986 002 01S
Delivery Time: Expected 6 DaysExpected in 2-3 weeks
$ 5,138.00
without Shipping

MN 986 04-05-2018 02:07 PM

I highly recommend the FVD Brombacher 'sound version' muffler.
I installed mine in 2010 and have worked with a few others on choosing this muffler (10/10ths, Por356,,,).
After 8 years I still love the sound and it still looks like new. I added Top Speed cat bypass pipes, which turns up the volume to the perfect level, reasonable at idle and around town, and pure Porsche flat 6 sound under acceleration.
Reports are accurate, absolutely no drone, likely due to same outer case design as OEM muffler.
Rhonda may give a forum discount if you contact her before ordering. Mine was approx. $1100 back in 2010. .
(Installed with rear bumper in place)
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1522966011.jpg

BoxsterSteve 04-05-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Newby (Post 511405)
I tried like hell to remove the stock muffler without removing the bumper cover on my 2000. Couldn't do it and resorted to removing the cover. I suppose it depends on the model year.

It can be done. You need to use a long extension from the rear to reach.

Gilles 04-06-2018 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnegan (Post 567149)
Update: (still searching for an affordable burble..)

Exhaust System "Brombacher" 986/S -04 (Sound Version), 200 Cell Cats, Tips 2x90mm
Part #: BES 986 002 01S
Delivery Time: Expected 6 DaysExpected in 2-3 weeks
$ 5,138.00
without Shipping

Finnegan, I am selling my SpeedArt (sound version) for $1,000, all the VFD Brombacher's were made by SpeedArt when VFD was their distributor.

Let me know if you are interested and will send you some pics, thanks.

tommy583 04-06-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 567224)
Finnegan, I am selling my SpeedArt (sound version) for $1,000, all the VFD Brombacher's were made by SpeedArt when VFD was their distributor.

Let me know if you are interested and will send you some pics, thanks.

Sent you a PM

mikesz 04-07-2018 06:25 AM

I replaced my muffler with an aftermarket I removed the bumper because I was replacing my 99 bumper with an 04. My car is a 99.