Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

Garage
Hardtop leaks, wet floors, and moldy carpets (not really)

So I'm not quite desperate, but I'm becoming a bit paranoid with how wet my interior is becoming. I've got a 97 996 with a standard hardtop, and from what I understand in general (about boxsters) is that they hold water quite well. That's why I initially went with one that included a hard top as well as quickly buying a car cover. The part that makes me a bit paranoid is that despite having the car cover ( It is a half cover albeit but still covering 75% ish of the car) I'm still coming to my car after a decent rain and finding the Passenger side carpet behind the seat soaked, Just the small section in the back. The carpet wall is barely damp, the Drivers side similarly, no wetness in front of or under the seats. It doesn't make sense having a cover that is concealing say 75-80% of the gaps yet still having a soaking wet portion. From what I've read the foam gets soaked, and the water sits etc... but it still doesn't explain how I'd be taking in new water.
Likewise, I'm getting water in my doors. i.e. Window is up and dry, roll window down, nothing abnormal, roll window back up and its wet (both inside and outside). I've looked into buying new window gaskets (or creating my own given how expensive they can be). It seems like a major issue because when replacing my outer tie rods a few weeks ago, the car started dripping in the rear as I jacked it up. No joke, It had been nice and sunny for 2 days, I jack up the car and it starts dripping water.

My thought is to sometime in the near future mess around with sealing things a bit better (as opposed to buying new gaskets) and see what changes. And don't worry I will at some point be removing the interior to do a full clean, I just don't have a space to really set up shop for extended periods of time.

Any help/advice would be appreciated, again I'm not desperate yet, but I want to try and figure this stuff out before winter for obvious reasons.

lindemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:26 AM   #2

I'd be more worried about draining whats there vs sealing what could get in.
The doors should have drains at the bottom, check that they aren't clogged.
There are drains all around the soft top, make sure they aren't clogged as well. You can access them in service position.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

I think hard top vs soft top is a moot point. You need to make sure all the drains are clear and clean. The 996 must have ones in the front battery tray area and under the clamshell similar to the Boxster, as well as door drains. Make sure all the debris is out of those areas and all the drains flow water freely.

Last edited by PaulE; 09-23-2016 at 11:02 AM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote