986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I have a really terrible feeling about this (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/63208-i-have-really-terrible-feeling-about.html)

Cbonilla 09-18-2016 12:27 PM

I have a really terrible feeling about this

2003 Boxster S, tip , 105,000 miles

car had been driving great, no problems. All of a sudden it developed a loud metallic rattle, like a loose heat shield on steroids. Pulled over to find a place to park. Looked under the car, nothing visible. Started it again, no noise

drove home, about 4 miles. Rattle did not recur. When I pulled into my parking space I could detect a faint rattle. Shut the car off and restarted. No rattle. Got out and looked under the car to see oil gushing from the engine. Never threw a check engine light

I fear that this may be the end of my Boxster. Anyone have a reason why I shouldn't despair?

oil was changed last summer (about 6k miles ago) by a good indie shop that looked at the filter No debris seen then

Getting it towed tomorrow to the shop that has worked on it

carlos- who is not a happy camper at the moment

mikefocke 09-18-2016 01:35 PM

Can only wish you good luck. And this.

rfuerst911sc 09-18-2016 02:46 PM

You need to address this systematically so first find out what is causing the oil leak. For all you know the oil filter housing came loose . Figure out what/where the oil is coming from and report back. Next thing to do is remove the oil filter housing and inspect the filter media for any foreign debris and report back with results . No reason to jump off the ledge quite yet :D

Cbonilla 09-18-2016 03:29 PM

Car will get towed into a good Porsche shop tomorrow, but I am fearing the worst

BYprodriver 09-18-2016 04:15 PM

You should personally remove the oil filter yourself 1st before doing anything else.

DrCactus 09-19-2016 04:09 AM

Might only need a new gasket on the block with new bolts ... fingers crossed its only that for you my friend... it happened to me. 1K of coin and your back up and running my friend. Good luck amigo...

Cbonilla 09-20-2016 10:41 AM

Thanks. It got towed in to Auto Sports System Group in Fairfax VA yesterday AM. Still waiting for them to be able to get to it

DrCactus: What were the symptoms at the time of your failure?

mikefocke 09-20-2016 11:36 AM

The car is at a good shop. They know what to do. Good luck.

Cbonilla 09-20-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 510781)
The car is at a good shop. They know what to do. Good luck.

Yes, I've used them for a few years and I have trust in them. But it's always good to hear that from someone else