Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
b0xt0La

Snow tires or chains?

I'm definately getting a Boxster in the next 2 weeks and I might drive it in the snow instead of my cherokee. You think I should snows or chains? Chians are less expensive than snows and they look like they have more traction. Any input is appreciated.

Jacob

Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
Watch Freak

I definitely would advise you not to drive it in the snow. I just got home from a poker game and it's 30 degrees and icy out. I almost lost it three times and even had my brakes kick back once and the car kept going straight when I tried turning. Just missed an orange cone!

I need to learn to keep it out of 6th gear in the ice!
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
b0xt0La

Dude u drive freaking fast!! I drive so freaking slow while I'm in any car when it snows. I'm talking about the rough days you know when it starts snowing all of a sudden while you are at a bar or something. As far as I'm concerned I drive really slow. I also use my overdrive in my Ford Taurus all the time when it snows just to slow the car down without having to brake and deal with the car sliding and ****************.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:08 PM   #4
Watch Freak

We had two feet of snow in NYC last weekend and I haven't driven my Boxster S since then. Yesterday was the first time I took it out after it rained and all the snow melted. I hate all the salt that hits the bottom of cars and the ice everywhere. NY weather just sucks for sports cars!
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:23 PM   #5
b0xt0La

Central NY suffers worse wehather :/ .
Old 12-16-2003, 08:30 AM   #6

I have a 2000 boxster and last year was the first year I took it out in the snow since my Ford Ranger finally died. I went to tire rack and bought four Dunlop Winter Sport M2's to throw onto my stock 17 inch wheels. I am VERY pleased with the performance. Last year I lived in Boston, and I took it out on the day that we received 37 inches of snow. I literally pulled into my driveway and the entire car was under the snow except the windshield up. The tires worked extremely well all season (especially with the traction control) The only downside I can see to this, is that I did slightly curb two of my wheels in the winter trying to leave a parking spot. However, I have since purchased a second set of summer tires and wheels (18" hyper black beauties!) and this is DEFINITELY the method of choice. Now, all i have to do is switch out the wheels sets for winter and summer. It is an initially expensive package to purchase, but over time, it is worth it as you wear the tread much less. PLUS, you always have perfect looking wheels in the summer. The moral of the story is to not be afraid of the winter because you are in a Porsche. Embrace the snow and ice, but just be careful and have fun.
cjmchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:23 AM   #7

Winter tires!

I also use the Dunlop M2 and they are definitely the way to go. Last week, 3 feet of snow and another 6 inches this week. No problems (except digging the cars out the following day). I see no need for chains.

William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote