Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:58 AM   #1
stevendalia

Blue smoke on startup solved

Hi All,
This forum has been very helpful to me even though I am infrequently on it. I don't know whether it's a sign that I have a car with few problems, or I just haven't had them all -- yet. I had an experience (helpful) that I would like to pass along that may be of use to you. Before I mention it, I want to say that it applies to my car, and may not work for yours, and that I have nothing whatsoever to do with the product.
I have 84,000+ miles on an '03 (I've owned it about 1 1/2 yrs), and I use the car on occasional trips (400-600 miles), some local driving, but not very often. The longer it sat in my garage between trips, the more blue smoke I got when starting it up cold. After that, I never saw any smoke during startups while on the trips, or within a few days of use. I also noticed that the car was not using oil. The dash indicator, just before an oil change (at about 5 or 6M miles of use), just started to show 1 mark from the top, but not all the time, and the dip stick still showed good. I guessed that my valve seals have worn. I had the oil changed a my regular Porsche mechanic (I forgot the brand, but it was the "European Formula"), and decided to try an additive. It still smoked after a cold startup on the new oil. I looked on line and found Liqui Moly Oil Saver. I checked to see what the reviews were, and they were pretty good. I found a vendor on line who had it for about $8+ (you need almost two bottles) including shipping. I put in about 1 3/4 bottles, ran up a few miles on the car and put it away. I took it out for a ride about a week later, and noticed almost no smoke on start up. About a week later, and since then, I don't get any blue smoke on start up at all! I am happy

Last edited by stevendalia; 09-11-2016 at 06:03 AM.