Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 04:13 AM   #1

Tiptronic Shifting Characteristics - What's Normal?

My '98 with around 36K miles exhibits a behavior that I'd like to confirm as normal or not. If it's not normal, I'd like to know what might be causing it. The car has done this since the day I bought it, but driving it recently finally caused me to inquire.

Describing it is difficult, but here goes: In automatic mode, the transmission of course starts in 2nd gear. When you accelerate from a stop, it feels like there's a light, interim shift (RPM's actually slightly drop), mid-way before the transmission finally/crisply shifts into 3rd. It's almost as if there's a small gear change between 2nd and 3rd. I haven't confirmed it if occurs in manual mode yet. Otherwise, the transmission operates flawlessly in every way.

This is not to be confused with the mapping that keeps the transmission from shifting until the car warms up.

Normal?

Thanks!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White

Last edited by Seadweller; 09-08-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 AM   #2

After playing with keywords and additional searches, I came across a thread that indicated the hesitation is not the transmission, but rather the variocam adjusting to a higher HP setting. As such, this so-called "hesitation" is evidently perfectly normal. I believe the thread was back from '05, so can anyone validate this finding?

Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
My '98 with around 36K miles exhibits a behavior that I'd like to confirm as normal or not. If it's not normal, I'd like to know what might be causing it. The car has done this since the day I bought it, but driving it recently finally caused me to inquire.

Describing it is difficult, but here goes: In automatic mode, the transmission of course starts in 2nd gear. When you accelerate from a stop, it feels like there's a light, interim shift (RPM's actually slightly drop), mid-way before the transmission finally/crisply shifts into 3rd. It's almost as if there's a small gear change between 2nd and 3rd. I haven't confirmed it if occurs in manual mode yet. Otherwise, the transmission operates flawlessly in every way.

This is not to be confused with the mapping that keeps the transmission from shifting until the car warms up.

Normal?

Thanks!
I feel your pain. My 99 does it as well. Sometimes it does feel like the auto kicks in but. I figured out that it happens around 23-2800 rpm. So I just plank it.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #4

I'm OK with this little idiosyncrasy, if that's all it is, because I really love the car...I just want to make sure it's just that...

Old 09-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
I'm OK with this little idiosyncrasy, if that's all it is, because I really love the car...I just want to make sure it's just that...
Second gear plank that to about 4g. Lag gone.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I have a 97 that bogs a little in auto mode (2nd gear) at +/- 2700 RPM. I have 24K on the ODO. But in 1st/Manual starts, it pushes right past it with out the bog. Keep it above 3K. That's where the magic happens.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote