986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Questions about 2003 Boxster S Shifter (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62944-questions-about-2003-boxster-s-shifter.html)

PaulE 08-30-2016 07:45 AM

Questions about 2003 Boxster S Shifter

Now that I've done 2 HPDE events, I've started to think about the shifter in my 6 speed 2003 S and am considering an upgrade to a short throw shifter, which leads to a couple of questions.

It seems like when I downshift on the track and "think" about the shift instead of just making the downshift, sometimes I have trouble finding the gear (from 4th to 3rd gear, or 3rd to 2nd gear). So I shouldn't "think" about the shift, but would a short throw shifter be more precise in this regard?

Whenever I see pictures of the shift lever assemblies, stock or B&M, the shift lever itself always looks like a flat bar. What I can feel of the lever underneath the boot and below the shift knob is round, not a flat bar. If I get one of these performance shifters, will my stock shift knob fit on the new lever?

Thanks for your input.

Fintro11 08-30-2016 07:46 AM

Look on the diy thread for the ball bearing shifter best upgrade I have done to the car

PaulE 08-30-2016 07:50 AM

Thanks

I've seen it and I am on the list for the next time he makes up a batch of the ball bearing shifters. Still want to figure out if a different shifter will fit my OEM shift knob and if it will help me find gears or be harder due to the narrower shift space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintro11 (Post 508376)
Look on the diy thread for the ball bearing shifter best upgrade I have done to the car

JFP in PA 08-30-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 508375)
Now that I've done 2 HPDE events, I've started to think about the shifter in my 6 speed 2003 S and am considering an upgrade to a short throw shifter, which leads to a couple of questions.

It seems like when I downshift on the track and "think" about the shift instead of just making the downshift, sometimes I have trouble finding the gear (from 4th to 3rd gear, or 3rd to 2nd gear). So I shouldn't "think" about the shift, but would a short throw shifter be more precise in this regard?

Whenever I see pictures of the shift lever assemblies, stock or B&M, the shift lever itself always looks like a flat bar. What I can feel of the lever underneath the boot and below the shift knob is round, not a flat bar. If I get one of these performance shifters, will my stock shift knob fit on the new lever?

Thanks for your input.

Yes, your stock knob will work with the B&M style shifter.

PaulE 08-30-2016 08:58 AM

Thanks

I appreciate the help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 508378)
Yes, your stock knob will work with the B&M style shifter.