986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tires, tires, tires (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/6287-tires-tires-tires.html)

BIGG 06-04-2006 04:11 PM

Tires, tires, tires

Ok, so I've been reading all the posts over and over again trying to decide on what tires to order for my '02 w/18". Finally decided to either stay with the SO3's that are pratically bald now (came with car when purchased 2 yrs ago), and I'm aware they are getting harder to find. Well actually, no one has them!

Now I'm looking for PS2's and second guessing. Go for a drive today and what do I end up doing? Went into my local Firestone and low and behold they're having a sale. Buy 3 get one free. The manager assured me that he had SO3's in his warehouse and wrote them up with one of the rear being the free one (bonus!). $857.00 out the door w/o warranty. Get a phone call 3 hours later stating that he spoke to several other people and now agrees with me when I told him they were discontinued earlier.

I'm totally familiar with the old bait and switch game but like the idea of getting one skin for free. He's pushing the SO2-A's as a substitute. Anyone run these? How about the RE-O1R's anyone try these???

I drive agressively every now and then, don't want to sacrifce dry/wet traction but don't want a lot of noise either. Appreciate any advise.

Marc Gelefsky 06-04-2006 04:37 PM

How about the BS Potenza RE050A Pole Position, I think it replaced the S03.
I put a set on my S about a month ago and am very pleased, by 3 get one free seems like a great deal, When I bought mine there was a 100 rebate.

BIGG 06-05-2006 04:53 AM

Marc,

Kinda leaning that way. How many miles have you driven on them? Noise an issue?

Marc Gelefsky 06-05-2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGG
Marc,

I have only done a few hundred miles on the thus far but they are not loud at all.

EPIQTodd 06-05-2006 08:42 AM

S-02A and S-03 are essentially the same tire. The new S-03 took the tread design of the S-02A, as it was quieter than the original S-03 design.

Great tires - I wish they made them in my sizes (for my street wheels).

2kwiq 06-05-2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGG
Marc,

noise issues don't really show up until later. i had a set of yokohamas that howled like crazy after 10k...that was on another car though. knowing most rear tires don't last 10k, i don't know if this problem will ever show up.