986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My coolant is Green (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62823-my-coolant-green.html)

Pdwight 08-19-2016 10:24 AM

My coolant is Green

I was checking my coolant this week and noticed it is green, to me that means at some point before I owned the car someone put Preston in it....I suppose I will just do the same once I preemptively change out the water pump.

kk2002s 08-19-2016 10:32 AM

Mine was also Green. From what I've heard, way back when America was Great, the Porsche coolant was green, same formula as the Pink stuff
So for me either my coolant was 14 years old or someone switched like you are thinking.

I wanted to go Pink so not knowing, I Flushed twice with distilled and then went Pink

Without knowing, all you can do to top off is add distilled water.

rick3000 08-19-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 507192)
Without knowing, all you can do to top off is add distilled water.

+1, you never want to mix coolants.

If you don't know what is in there the best thing to do is flush the system with distilled water and replace all of the coolant. It's not worth the risk of accidentally mixing coolants and having it gel. :cheers:

JFP in PA 08-19-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 507191)
I was checking my coolant this week and noticed it is green, to me that means at some point before I owned the car someone put Preston in it....I suppose I will just do the same once I preemptively change out the water pump.

Up until about 2003, everyone's Porsche coolant was green, and then they modified the formulation and it became a pink color. Fortunately, the pink stuff is completely compatible with the original Porsche green coolant.

Brian in Tucson 06-01-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 507199)
Up until about 2003, everyone's Porsche coolant was green, and then they modified the formulation and it became a pink color. Fortunately, the pink stuff is completely compatible with the original Porsche green coolant.

If, indeed, the green stuff is original coolant and never changed or topped up with the likes of old fashioned Prestone. No way for we mere mortals to know, so cleaning it out and starting from scratch is probably the best approach.

I live in the desert, where it gets hot. All my cars have a fresh gallon of distilled in the trunk. Cheap insurance--88 cents a gallon at Walmart. In an emergency, you can drink it or give some to your dog.:)

kk2002s 06-01-2018 09:27 AM

Up to about a year and half ago (Coolant was green), I always carried a gallon of distilled water for emergency. That's when I flushed and filled with pink. Then I started carried a gallon 50/50 pink/Distilled water.
But you bring up a great thought. Distilled water has greater uses. I think I'll go back to the gallon of distilled water

particlewave 06-01-2018 10:44 AM

I used to do that, too. Then thermal expansion from the heat in the trunk popped the top off the gallon jug and it sloshed around my trunk for quite a while before I noticed it. :D

I guess I should have squeezed the jug a bit to allow for expansion...

EdPrem 12-31-2019 08:58 AM

So is the green Porsche antifreeze compatible with the pink Porsche antifreeze? I am low and want to top off. 2002 Boxster S

Racer Boy 01-01-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdPrem (Post 609112)
So is the green Porsche antifreeze compatible with the pink Porsche antifreeze? I am low and want to top off. 2002 Boxster S

Per JFP, yes, the two different colored Porsche antifreezes are compatible -

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 507199)

The problem is that you don't know if the green stuff in your car is Porsche coolant, or Prestone.

JFP in PA 01-01-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 609185)
Per JFP, yes, the two different colored Porsche antifreezes are compatible -

The problem is that you don't know if the green stuff in your car is Porsche coolant, or Prestone.

You can take a sample of what is in the car and add some Porsche pink to it and mix it thoroughly, if it does not form crud, you should be fine.

piper6909 01-01-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 609187)
You can take a sample of what is in the car and add some Porsche pink to it and mix it thoroughly, if it does not form crud, you should be fine.

Great tip! How long would it take to curdle?

JFP in PA 01-01-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 609212)
Great tip! How long would it take to curdle?

Couple of hours, sooner if heated.

piper6909 01-01-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 609217)

Great! Thanks.

EdPrem 01-06-2020 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 609187)

Thanks from me too.

Brian in Tucson 01-06-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 609217)

I think I'm a fan of JFP!:cheers:

Brian in Tucson 01-06-2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 571912)
I used to do that, too. Then thermal expansion from the heat in the trunk popped the top off the gallon jug and it sloshed around my trunk for quite a while before I noticed it. :D

I guess I should have squeezed the jug a bit to allow for expansion...

Yes, you also might want to do that if you plan to go into the mountains. I had an inflated air matress in the back of my hatchback once and it exploded going over a pass in Colorado.

Scared the crap out of me!:dance: Used to drive longhaul. Multitudes of time, I had shampoo all over my kit because I forgot to burp the bottle.

Brian in Tucson 01-06-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdPrem (Post 609513)
Thanks from me too.

I don't think I'd mix antifreezes. On my 01, I just flushed it with O2 over a couple of weeks. First with tap water, and then with 2 rounds of distilled water. Drove it with water for a while. Then bought a bunch of VW coolant (cheaper.) At amazon. And 6 gallons of Walmart distilled water. Still have a couple of gallons of water left.

Gonna flush the Highlander when I do the timing belt, drive belts, and the water pump. Wish Aisan made kits for german cars, Amazon sells an entire kit for $160 using OEM parts.

JayG 01-06-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 609526)
I don't think I'd mix antifreezes. On my 01, I just flushed it with O2

so its an air cooled Boxster now? ::confused:

maytag 01-06-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 609539)
so its an air cooled Boxster now? ::confused:

Hahahaha. Perfect!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk