Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #1

Louisiana and Blue Cut

Really had to stop what I’m doing now to say that we really hope things changing for the better ASAP for you fellas both in Louisiana and the Blue Cut areas.

Helen and I here never seen anything like it, hard to believe what's happening down there. It’s all over the news here in Shanghai. We have quite a few friends in these areas, either from this forum or mutual family friends – one not responding email or msg :/ although understandable atm

Terrifying events. Hope all of your friends, family and pets are safe and sound there

Be safe all

Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #2

That was so nice of you to stop and post that.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Had a remote blast of the situations a few hours ago after looking closely to the latest footage. Also heard "worst" than Katrina for Louisiana yesterday - wife's cousin is based there (+2 kids). Still no news after 48hrs but heard from a friend they are okay, 'apparently', whatever that means

Apocalyptic were those helicopter footage from 1,000m above that St-B's county in CA. When you look at the fire trucks they are match-box size next to the blaze coming their way at almost 30mph and melting 10x ranches/hour. Where are all the other states' DC-10???

Hell on Earth is what it looked like on our TV a few hours ago :/ Sure feels like it when on-site I don't even need to ask

stupid planet, just won't let us do our thing in peace - ever
Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I work less than ten miles from where the fire started. It went from +/- 100 acres yesterday morning at 10:30 to over 30,000 by this morning. They are still reporting 0% containment. It is +/-105 degrees with 5% humidity. And that corridor is a natural windy area. The 'Santana's or Santa Ana winds are notorious in that area and can top out at over 100 MPH. They are currently blowing north at +/- 30 MPH. There was another fire on the east side and north of the 15 freeway a week and a half ago.

The fire service people are amazing. And the pilots of the C130's and jet's that drop the retardant are super-humans. The big planes land at San Bernardino airport just east of here to refill and then they follow the freeway back to line up for the drops. They fly at incredibly scary low altitudes. They have smaller spotter planes to help line them up for their runs. Plus there are a large number of helicopters that suck water out of anything/everything and then fly back in for strategic spot drops. Combined with the smoke, it makes for a crazy air show to watch from the freeway. There +/-82,000 people +/- 30,000 residences who are under mandatory evacuation orders as of now.

All that being said, more people have lost homes and lives in Louisiana than this fire so far. I believe I heard they received over 24" of rain in 48 hours. With more in their forecast. That is more rain than Los Angeles has received in the last 3 1/2 years. (Which is why the whole place is on fire or gonna be) I just looked up the totals. And the fire area is +/- 70 miles east of LA and much drier out here.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Be safe - friends in CA and LA. If only some of the water in LA could be in CA.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
We live about 20 miles from the Blue Cut and close family were right in the path of the fire. They got out, the Cal Fire guys foamed the house just before it was overrun and the structure was saved. Their yard and fencing was completely incinerated. Whew!

Quite a mess up there with several friends still at risk. We would gladly take 10 inches of rain about now.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
Carnut

Here is what a friend emailed me yesterday....

Indeed trying times for us!

Andy,

I tried calling you back but our phone lines are overloaded & coverage is spotty. So sweet for you to think about us. Very trying times. In March 2016 we flooded in one of our cabins but thankfully not our home. Again last weekend big scare but no water inside though it was very close. It’s so heart breaking to see our friends/family & customers going through losing everything. We are doing what we can to help. Remember our friends at The Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank? They lost everything, they had 5’ of water in their new facility & all the equipment was submerged. So sad.

The amazing thing is these homes & businesses have NEVER flooded & most do not have flood insurance. It’s hard to comprehend that that much rain can fall in such a short period of time. Some of those areas got like 30” in less than 48 hours. That’s like trillions of gallons of water.

Thanks so much for checking on us. We had plans to make it to PackExpo but we have decided under the circumstances to most likely not attend.