Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

tailgating

maybe its just me but I find that people seem so close to me when I look in the rear view mirror, I am so afraid that someone is just going to rear end me all the time, does anyone else find that the mirror makes people seem closer than normal?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Half of my driving experience in the Boxster is getting out of people's way especially when I see them not paying attention. It has become a thing that comes naturally because I know even a slight crash could mean total loss and I have too much blood sweat and tears into this thing!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

that's what wiper fluid is for.
rjh986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordeeb View Post
maybe its just me but I find that people seem so close to me when I look in the rear view mirror, I am so afraid that someone is just going to rear end me all the time, does anyone else find that the mirror makes people seem closer than normal?
I have the same phobia. Big pickups or SUVs esp seem to pull close. And how can they see my rear end? I usually leave a little fudge room in front of me. This gives me some space to pull ahead if someone gets too close or out of the way if they're distracted and not going to stop in time.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I get claustrophobic when there is a cement mixer ahead, dump truck behind and an 18 wheeler on each side. It is road construction season on EVERY ROAD in Winnipeg right now so this 'midget among giants' scenario happens a lot.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

People also just seem to be in such a rush! probably my slow shift from 1st to 2nd
Old 08-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #7

They're probably just 'mirin our cars!
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

I think a lot has to do with the fact our cars are small and low to the ground. So many SUVs and trucks out there - they really aren't that close, but because they have such a height advantage, it sometimes feels like they are bearing down on you.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #9

maybe I think people are just aggressive
Old 08-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
I think a lot has to do with the fact our cars are small and low to the ground. So many SUVs and trucks out there - they really aren't that close, but because they have such a height advantage, it sometimes feels like they are bearing down on you.
The height of the trucks and SUV's is part of it, but I think the drivers just look right over our low cars and tend not to pay attention to them, thus the tailgating. When I drove a Miata, I noticed the same thing.

That said, most people drive too closely behind other cars regardless of what they are!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #11

Garage
people see a cool looking car and they have to get close to see what it is and then they have to show off by passing in what ever non sport car they are in.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #12

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I am usually the one on other peoples bumper trying to get then to move over
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't find tailgating to be Boxster specific, but I love my 986 so I am always working to be in the best/safest position when driving on the highway. That means: never get boxed in on two sides, never sit in someone's blindspot, never tailgate, if someone is tailgating either change lanes or leave enough room in front for you both to brake, if someone is in your blindspot speed up or slow down. And try to avoid brake checking people, it's not worth the risk of getting rear ended.

I find there are two types of tailgaters: people in a hurry and bad drivers. People in a hurry will normally pass you if you go the speed limit. Bad driver's tend to tailgate whoever is in front of them regardless of speed, so I just change lanes so they can tailgate someone else.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #14

I always drive with my lights on, just so other folks can see me......my wife says I shouldn't talk about old people's driving habits because I am old people
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I pilot the Box just like I did the motorcycles in my past. I am always allowing/looking for an escape route and assume that I am invisible to most of the general, texting while driving, public.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:15 AM   #16
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordeeb View Post
maybe I think people are just aggressive
I think you will find most drivers in big cities on the east coast are aggressive drivers. Especially Boston area drivers.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:42 AM   #17
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh986 View Post
that's what wiper fluid is for.
+1 Works like a champ.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #18

My boxster is the first stick shift car I've ever owned and I learned manual only a few months ago. When I'm on a steep hill and someone crawls up my ass I get soooo nervous... Usually I preemptively let off the brake and roll back a bit to let them know I'm a stick shift and they should not be an inch away from my rear end when I'm trying to come out of first on a steep uphill
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #19

I rigged-up my spoiler to dump three pounds of 1" roofing nails onto the road at the push of a button. Maybe you need to do the same. BTW, Objects in mirror are actually closer than they appear.
FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
My boxster is the first stick shift car I've ever owned and I learned manual only a few months ago. When I'm on a steep hill and someone crawls up my ass I get soooo nervous... Usually I preemptively let off the brake and roll back a bit to let them know I'm a stick shift and they should not be an inch away from my rear end when I'm trying to come out of first on a steep uphill
I remember when I was learning to drive a stick I got stuck at a red light going up a very steep hill and this guy pulled right up behind me, within a few inches. My dad got out told the guy to back off, then pulled the handbrake while I revved up the engine.

I don't have any issues with uphill starts anymore, but it certainly took a while to master them. Every now and then I will accidentally over rev the engine, or if I can see a light uphill I drive slowly so it has time to turn green. It takes time, but you'll get the hang of it!