986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   "not another MAF thread" but hear me out.. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62777-not-another-maf-thread-but-hear-me-out.html)

CrisZenithBlue 08-16-2016 10:03 AM

"not another MAF thread" but hear me out..

according to Pelicans and warehouse33auto websites the MAF can differ from chassis to chassis.
Ex: "Application Notes: Air Mass Sensor (From chassis # 986YS620415; chassis # 980YU625100)" when you try to buy one.

can this make a difference in how the car will run with a MAF? i have both a genuine Porsche MAF that was on the car when i bought it and a cheaper Bosch MAF that i bought myself while in the process of diagnosing a couple of codes P1133 and P1126.

also, both MAFs were bought for a 2000 2.7l engine which blew and i now have replaced the engine with a 2001 2.7l with 21,000 miles on it. both MAFs were tested on the new engine with the codes popping up again.

i would imagine the new MAF works well (although there have been reports of new ones being bad), could it be that the MAFs i have dont match because they were for a different year or for a different chassis?

since i bought the engine used i might be screwed in trying to find out the chassis number to get the proper MAF.
also, i just had a smoke test done and everything is tight so its not a vacuum leak. AOS is newish and fine, i checked for the regular symptoms.
car is running fine and making power in all ranges but idle is a bit rough with fluctuations of 1-200 RPMs.

any thoughts?

thanks,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue 08-16-2016 10:15 AM

i may be in luck.. there seem to be only 2 versions of the MAF from chassis

Through chassis # 986YS620414; chassis # 980YU625099 $236.10
From chassis # 986YS620415; chassis # 980YU625100 $202.93

it looks like the one i bought was the second one for 202.93 (i think i just looked at the price and went.. this one!) not realizing at the time chassis number matter.

so if it turns out chassis number DOES matter i simply have to buy the other one.

will wait for some feedback before i make the move.

CrisZenithBlue 08-16-2016 10:30 AM

i think i should have looked at the details closely before posting.

when searching for a MAF for a 2000 year model i get any of the two options mentioned above.

when searching for a MAF for a 2001 year model there is only one available, Part #: 986 606 125 01 which i'm pretty sure is the one i bought (accidentally), lucky me.

now.. back to the drawing board on diagnosing these frustrating codes!!!

j.fro 08-17-2016 03:26 AM

This may help..
Porsche updated the MAF some time around 2000-2001. The new part number is 986 606 125 01; the old part number was 986 606 124 XX. To use the updated MAF in an older car, the software has to be reflashed, and there is a TSB for this.
I had the older MAF in my 2000 BoxS and it went bad, so I decided to update with the newer unit. A local independent BMW/Porsche shop said they could do the re-flash, so I installed the new 125 MAF myself and took the car to them. $400 later I drove away and the car seemed fine, no CEL, ran great, and improved MPG's to boot. About a year later I put the car on a dyno and discovered that the car was actually running a bit lean. I figured it was the intake and headers that I had added. Maybe I had a vacuum leak. The hunt began...
I could not sort out this vacuum leak to save my life. Using my Durametric, I tested the O2 sensor values and it always showed the car running lean. :mad:
I got my hands on an old 124 MAF that I knew was good and tried that... Presto! Durametric showed that the fuel mix was right where it belonged.
Whatever the indy shop did, it did not work. However, the car ran with the 125 MAF on the lean side, but not so out of spec to trigger the CEL.
I've got a feeling that your rough idle may be similar to my issue.

CrisZenithBlue 08-17-2016 04:05 AM

very good info to know j.fro thanks a lot!
i am suspecting the MAF as well i was just trying to make sure i have the right one and after thinking some more about it i realized that i most likely have the newer model MAF but even with my 2001 year model engine that i recently replaced the DME is still from a 2000 year model. i guess i mistakenly kept thinking 2001 year model for everything related to the engine. wrong..

so i will double check the part number on the MAF i have installed and buy the older version. if this is indeed the problem i will smack myself over the head :D

j.fro 08-17-2016 04:39 AM

If you've got the newer MAF, you might try taking the car to the dealer to see if the updated flash has been done/can be done. From what I understand, the newer MAF with the right flash is less sensitive to dirt,etc fouling the sensor and throwing a code.

CrisZenithBlue 05-09-2020 12:49 AM

sorry to bring up these old threads, but i hate when i find threads without a conclusion. in an attempt to not be part of the problem here it is: I had the wrong version of the MAF. always the damn MAF! i ended up buying this off Amazon and havent had an issue for 2 years now: Bosch 0280218009 Original Equipment Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

hotdawwgman 05-09-2020 07:20 AM

Thank you for closing out the thread and sharing your findings!

morgal48 05-09-2020 08:47 AM

Got 1126 and 1133 codes on my 2000S this week. Pulled the MAF and cleaned it with CRC MAF cleaner, and so far I've got 100+ miles with no CEL. May be too soon to claim victory, but the MAF is a 125.00, so I think if I do need a replacement it will be the not-need-a-reflash 125.02 version.

CrisZenithBlue 05-09-2020 09:30 AM

you shouldnt need a flash unless you have the old version and want to change to new for the benefits, which i believe are slighly better mpg? not sure.

what i would do is just pull it, get the same exact part # you see on the current one if it worked well for you and live happily ever after.

I made such a mess with the wrong MAF part, which caused me to run with a CEL for a long time until i figured it out.