986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Nitpicky Item Ignition Trim (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62712-nitpicky-item-ignition-trim.html)

dsallean 08-10-2016 10:28 AM

Nitpicky Item Ignition Trim

Howdy,

I am acquiring parts and knowledge for a long list of preventative maintenance I will be performing in the coming months including a new clutch, water pump, engine mount, etc. among many other items. I actually look forward to doing this type of work. My better half understands my need to always be working on projects and the box seems to fall right into that.

My question in this post is about the ignition trim surround. The one on my car seems loose and my guess is this isn't a natural state for the part. Everything else in the car is so tight and properly fit together.

I haven't attempted removal yet. I just wonder if there is a way to tighten it up.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
2001S

jcslocum 08-10-2016 12:26 PM

I recall it's a rubber grommet?? A new one might have a less rubbery feel???

Auf los! 08-10-2016 04:07 PM

Yeah, it's a synthetic rubber piece, tug on it, and it will pop right out. I think it's a little odd that it is loose on your car. A new one is $60 or so, and might fit better. But a couple of dabs of silicone behind your loose one will likely make it stay put.

dghii 08-10-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auf los! (Post 506213)
Yeah, it's a synthetic rubber piece, tug on it, and it will pop right out. I think it's a little odd that it is loose on your car. A new one is $60 or so, and might fit better. But a couple of dabs of silicone behind your loose one will likely make it stay put.

Wow. Think I paid less than half of that from Suncoast a few years ago...

jakeru 08-10-2016 09:10 PM

From my recent interior trim refinishing project, IIRC, the ignition trim is EPDM rubber. To tighten it up if it seems loose or has some unsightly gap, I'd suggest pulling it away and reinserting it more fully. You could also try "re-clocking" it (rotating it at a slightly different angle).

dsallean 08-11-2016 05:43 AM

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like it might be a simple task to remove it. If there is wear or anything broken I will just get a new one from Suncoast. Currently running $59.70.

dghii 08-11-2016 09:42 AM

might want to check with reputable ebay used part seller like 'qualityporscheparts'. or itsnotanova on this board.

dsallean 08-11-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 506275)
might want to check with reputable ebay used part seller like 'qualityporscheparts'. or itsnotanova on this board.

Thanks that is a good idea. I have bought from Woody before and he is great.