Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #1

Fault Code: P0453 Evap System Pressure Sensor: Signal too high.

Hi,

My check engine light decided that it would make an appearance this morning so I hooked up a code reader and got the following DTC:

"P0453- Evap System Pressure Sensor: Signal too high."

I was hoping someone could help me make some sense of what this could be pointing at and how to remedy the situation. Im not sure but I thought it might have something to do with the fuel system?? Just a bit of background...I filled the car up with fuel the other night and drove a few miles home and parked the car. 2 or 3 days have gone by with the car sitting in the garage when I decided that I would take it out for a spin today and then noticed that the light had come on. I did remove the gas cap and then replaced it but the light was still on after I restarted the car....Im not too sure if it would have reset itself after doing that if that were actually the problem or not.

Anyhow, I did manage to grab the code and reset the CEL but in the mean time I would like to try and figure out the situation and hope that light doesnt make an encore appearance.

Jeff

jeff740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff740
Hi,

My check engine light decided that it would make an appearance this morning so I hooked up a code reader and got the following DTC:

"P0453- Evap System Pressure Sensor: Signal too high."

I was hoping someone could help me make some sense of what this could be pointing at and how to remedy the situation. Im not sure but I thought it might have something to do with the fuel system?? Just a bit of background...I filled the car up with fuel the other night and drove a few miles home and parked the car. 2 or 3 days have gone by with the car sitting in the garage when I decided that I would take it out for a spin today and then noticed that the light had come on. I did remove the gas cap and then replaced it but the light was still on after I restarted the car....Im not too sure if it would have reset itself after doing that if that were actually the problem or not.

Anyhow, I did manage to grab the code and reset the CEL but in the mean time I would like to try and figure out the situation and hope that light doesnt make an encore appearance.

Jeff
Hi,

My guess is what you already tried - the Gas Cap. You fail to mention your MY, but the original part - PN# 996.201.241.00 has been superceded by PN# 996.201.241.01 which has a better seal. Check your Cap and the part # is on it. If you still have the old part, treat yourself to the new one, they're only $15. If you have the upgraded part already, it could simply be that the Seal has failed - they do wear out.

Keep an eye out for another CEL with the same fault, I bet if it returns, it will also be after a fill-up. BTW, be sure not to try and get every drop of fuel in there that you can. The new systems will mess up if you do. Just fill til the pump stops, or you'll push fuel into the Evap Cannister. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #3

Managed to clear the code and go for another drive...shut the car off and walked around for an hour, got back in and the light came back on I checked the gas cap for the part # and it is PN# 996.201.241.03??? Not sure what difference the "03" part of it makes....im guessing it must be a newer one perhaps that wont need to be replaced. If it isnt the gas cap any other ideas of where to look for this problem....?? Could it be a bad tank of gas, octane problems or something else?? The last tank I put in had an octane rating of 94.

BTW, my car is a 2001 non-"S" boxster.

Thanks.

Jeff.
jeff740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #4

Unhappy My first CEL

Got the dreaded yellow CEL today, for the first time.

The Actron says "P0453 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor / Switch High Input".

After reading the threads it looks like the fuel pressure is high in the tank? Could this be a restricted vent, or a bad sensor?

I removed the left intake manifold and installed the stock airbox this weekend. Could I have done something to cause the CEL? I don't even know where the sensor is, or how the fuel tank vents.

I deleted the code, and it came right back, but the CEL is off, for now (I expect it to turn back on). The Actron doesn't seem to display anything like fuel pressure that I could see in its real time input.

Any idea where this sensor is?

Last edited by DG Boxster; 05-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote