Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Thoughts on a sitter?

Good afternoon everyone...

Any thoughts on buying a 2001S that has been sitting for over 4 years? How much would it cost to get it back on the road?

Anything Porsche specific other than the general new battery/flush fluids/spark plugs deal?

It might not be worth it at all, so Id like to see if anyone has done such in the past to talk me out of it.
I love my 2004 base but could use a second one

wantsasheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
If I were you, I'd have a conversation with MWS. Read this tread if you haven't already:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62450-what-you-dont-want-have-happen.html
Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

my first experience with a sitter.. BMW 3 Series (319) from 1992 sitting for 4 years.
anything that could break because of age broke.. sitting KILLS cars!

with so many Boxsters out there it's not worth the trouble.

where in Florida are you located? if it sat outside.. forget about it.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
my first experience with a sitter.. BMW 3 Series (319) from 1992 sitting for 4 years.
anything that could break because of age broke.. sitting KILLS cars!

with so many Boxsters out there it's not worth the trouble.

where in Florida are you located? if it sat outside.. forget about it.
It was in jacksonville, FL. it was garaged and looked very well taken care off. He was asking $5000. Car has40k miles. I was going to take a look at it today but the seller said he ended up selling it to his neighbour.

I guess it would have been a bit of a lottery as i can find a good rubning ine for under 10 anyway.

Thanks for the input!
wantsasheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Dang. Too bad but there are lots of these cars (anymore in the $5-7K range). If you really want one you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

FYI, I've bought two 98's back in 2011 and 2012 for under $5K. Not sitters but needed maintenance brought up to date. Both were sold to friends that still have them today.

I guess it's like this...I don't play the lottery even though someone wins most weeks. I also don't shy away from these cars even though, unfortunately, I'm aware that some folks have had bad experiences with catastrophic failures.

Keep looking and good luck!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote