986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clutch booster spring possible causing clutch to slip (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62567-clutch-booster-spring-possible-causing-clutch-slip.html)

Jahhrr 07-29-2016 03:44 PM

Clutch booster spring possible causing clutch to slip

Hey everyone,

Just made an account to post for the first time but I've searched everywhere without finding anyone who's experienced something like this and I was looking for some input.

After replacing my brake light switch I noticed a creaky noise coming from the clutch pedal. After depressing the clutch a few times I heard a small click and the creaky noise stopped, however after a few days I noticed what seemed to be my clutch slightly slipping. What struck me as odd was that the slipping seemed very intermittent, I did a few tests such as shifting from first to fifth and there was no slipping at all. It catches nicely as I take off in first as well. Today as I got to work, my clutch pedal got stuck all the way up and after pressing on it a few times I heard a snap and then the whole clutch assist/booster spring assembly fell out. The spring had broken in three places as well. I suspect, due to the intermittent nature of the clutch slipping, that perhaps the broken spring may have occasionally prevented the clutch from coming all the way up, just slightly enough to cause a slight slip when it would happen, but not enough to really notice the difference in the clutches resting point.

My question to the forum would be, "does this diagnosis seem plausible and/or have you heard of something similar happening before"

Since I am still at work for the next few hours I have not had a chance to try and replicate the slipping since the spring came out, however I plan to do so on my way home and will definitely be back to update you all. I think it's also important to note that the slipping was only moderate and I've never once smelled the clutch burning. It almost feels like my tires just lose traction for a moment between shifts occasionally. The spring was pretty badly damaged and the four individual broken pieces of the spring had wound into one another within the assembly.

Your input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Gelbster 07-29-2016 04:04 PM

Search for "Power Spring"

JayG 07-29-2016 06:30 PM

It is possible that if the spring was broken, it could have prevented the clutch pedal from coming all the way up.

Did the spring "canister" break? They run around $65 IIRC for a new one, or you can sometimes find a used one
Try Woody itsnotanova on this forum for a used one.

In reality, you don't need the booster spring, but it does make the clutch easier to push

Also, it would be nice to actually introduce yourself as your first post including pics of your car, as without pics, "it ain't real"

Jahhrr 07-29-2016 06:49 PM

Thanks for the info Jay! I read elsewhere as well it's not a necessary part so I was more concerned with wether or not it was actually my clutch at this point. I'm not too familiar with the culture here so pics are attached as required 😊

I've also attached a pic of the power spring in its current state. My drive home went swimmingly actually, the clutch pedal feels smooth as butter and it didn't slip once although most of my commute is highway so I will post another update in a few days after I can see how things go. Clutch feels better than it ever has during the time I've owned it at the moment so I don't think I will be replacing the power spring anytime soon 😁

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1469846667.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1469846693.jpg

Meir 07-29-2016 06:54 PM

Jahhrr. In which part of Florida are you located?
I think I have a spring Laying around somewhere, that I can give you.

JayG 07-29-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahhrr (Post 504912)
Thanks for the info Jay! I read elsewhere as well it's not a necessary part so I was more concerned with wether or not it was actually my clutch at this point. I'm not too familiar with the culture here so pics are attached as required 😊

I've also attached a pic of the power spring in its current state. My drive home went swimmingly actually, the clutch pedal feels smooth as butter and it didn't slip once although most of my commute is highway so I will post another update in a few days after I can see how things go. Clutch feels better than it ever has during the time I've owned it at the moment so I don't think I will be replacing the power spring anytime soon 😁

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1469846693.jpg

IIRC, the canister should have a pin on both sides, so you probably need a full replacement if you decide to put it back in

Jahhrr 07-29-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 504913)
Jahhrr. In which part of Florida are you located?
I think I have a spring Laying around somewhere, that I can give you.

I'm in Tampa over by USF but at the moment I don't plan on replacing it. Thanks though!

Jahhrr 07-29-2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 504914)
IIRC, the canister should have a pin on both sides, so you probably need a full replacement if you decide to put it back in

You are correct, they entire assembly would have to be replaced save the shaft part should I replace it

JayG 07-29-2016 10:26 PM

The unit comes assembled with the spring under tension. There is a hole for a pin at the end

The only thing you need is the pin and clip at the other end