Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

New Boxster Owner

Hello to all. I've taken the plunge and bought my first Porsche. A 1999 glacier white/savanna beige Boxster. Five speed, no winters, all service records back to new and 53000 miles. Oil changed every 3-4000 miles. Previous owner was 68 and could no longer get in and out easily so he sold it. So far it's been a great car. IMS bearing never changed. From my research it should have a double row bearing. Car was made in April 1999. Here's the engine serial number: M96/2065X17111. Can any of you decode this number for me? Build date? Double row bearing? Production number? Any info would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future. Thank you.

fastflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
Hello to all. I've taken the plunge and bought my first Porsche. A 1999 glacier white/savanna beige Boxster. Five speed, no winters, all service records back to new and 53000 miles. Oil changed every 3-4000 miles. Previous owner was 68 and could no longer get in and out easily so he sold it. So far it's been a great car. IMS bearing never changed. From my research it should have a double row bearing. Car was made in April 1999. Here's the engine serial number: M96/2065X17111. Can any of you decode this number for me? Build date? Double row bearing? Production number? Any info would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future. Thank you.
sounds beautiful! pictures?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums. Lots of great people here to help. Also, the search function is hugely helpful when issues or questions arise.
And yes, pictures please.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:36 AM   #4
Master Brewer

Garage
Welcome aboard!! Find your tag affixed to your hood. That has all the info on the options your car has in code. As Giller pointed out, search is your friend and pictures are a must. Also, be sure to join a local PCA chapter and have fun!
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Hey Ff. Your on a winner there. If the oil was changed @ 3-4k mile intervals then ims bearing should be fine. From my limited knowledge the bearing only fails when lub oil gets contaminated.
Enjoy that car. Its a rocket 😎

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Galway is offline   Reply With Quote