Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #21

I know you like and trust your dealer but if they haven't started the IMS work yet you should consider asking them about their level of experience in replacing IMS bearings. See this thread. You want to make sure they're putting someone on the job who's done it before. Hope they don't find anything else to fix for a while!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #22
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I know you like and trust your dealer but if they haven't started the IMS work yet you should consider asking them about their level of experience in replacing IMS bearings. See this thread. You want to make sure they're putting someone on the job who's done it before. Hope they don't find anything else to fix for a while!
Thanks for the "heads up", but I have met the head mechanic several times and is really knowledgeable with apx 15+ years at this dealer. He has done many IMS, most w/ LN bearing. Also (and I thought this funny), he has only seen 3 or 4 (and none on Boxster) total failures (when they came in) out of the many he has done. I fact, he said most of the ones he has replaced looked just like new, but he still reccomended I should do if I prefer piece of mind.

A good honest mechanic is hard to find, but (and I shouldn't say this), but I value even more the service advisor....rather than deciding what NEEDS done (from some advisors "must do"), sometimes I have to insist that I WANT something done when my advisor says "it's not that necessary".
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #23
MWS

Final update...

After almost 2 weeks, car is back home, yea!

Final cost was $4775... I am really impressed. Not bad for Porsche service. If anyone is interested, I could post the full list of what was done.

The only comment my advisor had was I really start driving the damn thing, or sell it to him. Guess I should invest in some new tires though.

One strange thing (and had them stumped as well) was with a new climate control, it constantly blinks on startup (about nine blinks) then ok. At next startup, same thing. They suggested the unit might be "coding" to car, and I should drive a few days and let them know. Everything works, it's just odd. I might post as new topic incase others have seen.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:06 AM   #24

Good to hear you have it back on the road! The man is right: DRIVE! Get your money's worth

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote