Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

pin 9 carrera guage swap

Hi All,
Been looking for an article I read. Not sure if it was here or one of the other forums. My question has to do with the extra wire that runs to the new oil pressure sender when you do the Carrera instrument swap. Got the sender in and the wire ran to the blue harness.

How does this wire go into pin 9? Do I strip the wire and stick it into pin 9 spot? Can someone explain how they did it?

Thanks ahead guys.

madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

Porsche Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Porsche Boxster On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade and Turn Signal Switch Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Here are links to the articles on Pelican that should answer your questions. You need to attach a connector to the end of the wire before inserting it in the back of the cluster.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Porsche Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Porsche Boxster On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade and Turn Signal Switch Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Here are links to the articles on Pelican that should answer your questions. You need to attach a connector to the end of the wire before inserting it in the back of the cluster.
Thanks Kevin,
I remember reading somewhere that someone was using a vw pin connector. Been searching for that thread but can't find it.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:42 AM   #4

The second article (on OBC installation) lists the VW parts numbers. When I installed my gauge cluster, I gave the number to the VW parts department at a local dealer and they were able to find it. If I recall correctly, the part number had changed but they were able to cross reference it.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #5

Garage
and it needs to go in the right way to lock in to the plug.