986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Ignition switch starting to fail? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62403-ignition-switch-starting-fail.html)

Mauiguy 07-18-2016 05:11 AM

Ignition switch starting to fail?

Hey all,
I have a '99 boxster base. Turned my windshield wipers on yesterday and nothing! Pulled over and messed about, finally discovered that they'll turn on ok if the key isn't rotated all the way over. So, I'm starting the car normally, then rotating the key a little counter-clockwise and the wipers will turn on. I remember reading about boxsters having a faulty ignition switch (Link below). Am I right in thinking it's just the switch? Sounds like a plastic part replacement, is this difficult? And on that page that I linked to below, the guy says people get the part from autozone or the Audi parts counter, is this a standard part that fits many cars?

From BoxsterInfo, scroll down a little for the paragraph on the ig. switch issue.

kjc2050 07-18-2016 07:01 AM

Do a search. Tons of posts on this topic. Here's my story on this topic. Read the entire thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html

Nine8Six 07-18-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauiguy (Post 503411)
discovered that they'll turn on ok if the key isn't rotated all the way over.

Judging from this alone I'd say 90% chance it is indeed caused by a faulty the ign switch. Too well known of a problem, although the wiper fault is a first for me. Never heard before.

Wait for the "pro" to comment before making any decision.

JTapper 07-18-2016 07:26 AM

Parts are cheap and the fix is easy, if you're a contortionist.

It involves going up under the dash and replacing the ignition switch. I got mine from Napa for around $15. Remove the plug, and two small set screws hold the switch in place. They're the trickiest part. If you don't have a jeweler's screwdriver set, you'll need one with a small standard screwdriver.

With out the key returning all the way back to run after starting, headlights and wipers are disabled. Parking lights, however, will function. A simple counter-clockwise light turn of the key enables them. If that is your symptom, a new switch is the fix.

Cbonilla 07-18-2016 07:46 AM

Just had this very problem this weekend. For me the A/C and wipers didn't work unless I nudged the key back from the normal run position. I ordered a part from Pelican listed as OEM for $27, but whether that supplier provided that part to Porsche I couldn't tell you. Just relieved that I didn't have to buy a new AC system

CB
'03 Boxster S

Mauiguy 07-18-2016 08:28 AM

Ok I'm 5'9" and hopefully flexible enough to do the fix. I can also try fixing via the dashboard route noted in kjc2050's thread. If I go that way I can get that nifty screwdriver set with flexible extension since I'm literally down the street from Harbor Freight tools in Braintree, Mass. It sounds like it's a much quicker fix when done from underneath, as long as I can do the physical part so I'll try that way first.

kjc2050 07-18-2016 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauiguy (Post 503433)
Ok I'm 5'9" and hopefully flexible enough to do the fix. I can also try fixing via the dashboard route noted in kjc2050's thread. If I go that way I can get that nifty screwdriver set with flexible extension since I'm literally down the street from Harbor Freight tools in Braintree, Mass. It sounds like it's a much quicker fix when done from underneath, as long as I can do the physical part so I'll try that way first.

Yup. If I had to do it again, I'd go that route. I purchased that screwdriver set from HF with this in mind. Good luck.

Mauiguy 07-18-2016 09:51 AM

K I'm gonna buy 2 ignition switches since they're so cheap and it seems like I'll need another one eventually. The one from kjc2050's thread isn't available from that seller anymore so I looked around and found one in Tennessee:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyle-Brand-Ignition-Switch-A4-A6-A8-S4-S6-80-90-100-Porsche-911-Boxster-/151437045342?fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3APorsche%7CM odel%3ABoxster&hash=item234259ee5e:g:5BkAAOSwUuFWv bWZ&vxp=mtr
so if anyone knows if it's a bad seller or the wrong part, do let me know!

dghii 07-18-2016 11:06 AM

$12 shipped with prime on Amazing.

Xpit77 07-19-2016 05:09 AM

Remove the AC vent . It`s not that easy to get in there. Flex driver is perfect. I bought the switch from VW dealer.

TrumpyAl 07-21-2016 11:35 PM

Same, I got it from VW. eBay seems like a less permanent fix with parts of unknown origin.

I'm 6'1" and had little trouble getting access from below.

Mauiguy 07-22-2016 04:35 AM

I ordered two the other day and tracking says they'll arrive between today and the 25th so once they do I'll pop one in (Spoken like I've done it a thousand times and it'll be easy). I've only seen a pic or two that illustrate what to do so I'll take some pics and make a tutorial, with all my mistakes edited out.

TrumpyAl 07-22-2016 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauiguy (Post 504038)
with all my mistakes edited out.

Of course! [emoji12]

Xpit77 07-22-2016 07:12 AM

shhh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauiguy (Post 504038)
I ordered two the other day and tracking says they'll arrive between today and the 25th so once they do I'll pop one in (Spoken like I've done it a thousand times and it'll be easy). I've only seen a pic or two that illustrate what to do so I'll take some pics and make a tutorial, with all my mistakes edited out.

Ok. Everyone who has done this don`t say a word.
Let`s wait for the finished it post. Wink wink.

JTapper 07-22-2016 09:20 AM

I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't get the HVAC vent out so I just went in from below.

Mauiguy 07-29-2016 04:42 PM

Ok, I finished it, all set! It was wikkid hard to do it from underneath but using a small screwdriver I was able to scrape away the loctite then loosen the screws. I didn't pull apart the bad switch but the white plastic part was definitely broken/worn down. Cheap crap, just make it out of all metal and increase the retail price by a dollar, we'll pay it.
I had given up on the underneath method and was going to try going through the left side of the dashboard but the headlight switch knob was not going to come off. I pulled very hard on it, no dice. I will look that up now because I'd still like to try it and it seems like I'll have to replace the switch again in the coming years.

Just to button up this post I want to say thanks to all who helped. I stated earlier I'd do a full pictorial but after more searching found these three threads with pics so I didn't see a need to do another one
Replace Ignition Switch :: Repairs :: Greg's 2004 Porsche 996
Porsche Boxster Ignition Switch Replacement
Replace Ignition Switch Porsche DIY

TrumpyAl 07-29-2016 04:46 PM

Good work!

Xpit77 07-30-2016 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTapper (Post 504084)
I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't get the HVAC vent out so I just went in from below.

Buy the Bentley Service manual.
I think the white ones are original.