Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #1

Clear Bra-3M

Had a clear bra installed, bad job, so want to remove. Can it just be peeled off, or does it require any other technique?

boxstersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #2

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstersman
Had a clear bra installed, bad job, so want to remove. Can it just be peeled off, or does it require any other technique?
Did you do it by yourself? I was gonna get one from Porsche but its way expensive.
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
If you paid for the install bring it back! there is no excuse, mine looks great

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #4

Clear Bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
If you paid for the install bring it back! there is no excuse, mine looks great

No, I would not pay for it, but did not want the same guy to re-do it either, as he thought nothing was wrong with numerous stretch marks and creases. Therefore I didn't even want him to remove it. I think it will peel off without any special method, but just don't want to damage paint.
boxstersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
No, I would not pay for it, but did not want the same guy to re-do it either, as he thought nothing was wrong with numerous stretch marks and creases. Therefore I didn't even want him to remove it. I think it will peel off without any special method, but just don't want to damage paint.

The guy that installed mine told me the following but I wanted to double check my memory:

Q. How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film removed?
A. If desired, film can be removed at any time by picking up a corner of the film and pulling the film off the vehicle surface from a 30 to 90-degree angle. If the film has been present a long time, or if the film and vehicle are cold, a heat gun or hair dryer may be used to soften the adhesive, allowing easier removal. If any adhesive remains on the vehicle after removal of the film, it can be removed by using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M Part #08984 or 3M Part#08987), 3M™ Woodgrain and Stripe Adhesive Remover (3M Part #08908) according to the package directions.

[source: http://www.autoamenity.com/Body-Molding/3M-Clear-Molding.htm]

I called the installer about two weeks after the initial installation after I noticed a three inch nick in the film while cleaning the film. I called the installer and told him that I believed that it was unlikely that I nicked the film. The installer called me back about an hour later and said that his film cutting machine did it and he was happy to replace it. New film installed about three weeks after the first installation. I didn't find any damage to the paint after the re-installation.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear that this 3M stuff can be removed fairly easily. I have an appt with the dealer on Friday...I believe they will replace the entire hood/bumper kit. Not only were there creases and marks, they also used the wrong 3M kit. Apparently they used the kit made for the aero package.

I'd like to remove this stuff myself (and use Collinite #845 to remove the adhesive). I'm not keen on them putting other products on my paint and rubbing off who knows what. I'm calling the dealer to see if they will let me remove the kit before bringing it in.

What a pain!

porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote