Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #1

Boxster's Grandfather - Cool Pictures

Brought my car in for the 30k mile service and Friday and found out the following :

1. I have a small leak and need a spark plug tube and O rings ( ? ) - $383

2. I have a minor leak in the rear main seal ( ! ) - $951

3. They said they can fix the rattle in the windscreen ( new clips $ ) - $135

Questions :

1. Does anyone know what # 1 above is about ?

2. The service advisor said my RMS leak was minor and should be good for another 20 - 30k miles. Does this sound right ?

3. Would new clips make a difference in the rattle ?

Anyway, went to a car show this Sunday and took pictures of a speedster :

Very cool ( yes that is my fiance in one of the photos )....

Enjoy !

Nick

NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #2

#1. The Tube Seals keeps the Spark Plug Tubes/Spark Plugs sealed from Crank Case oil. If there is a poor seal, you will have some oil leak/seepage located near the affected Spark Plug Seal. Depending on the amount of oil seepage, this can actually cause Idle fluctuations because of oil soaking the Spark Plugs...Make sure that they also replace the Spark Plug Tubes with the Seals. Minor Problem and fix

#2. RMS Seal- if you have the funds, might as well have it done. If the leak is very small, the seal should still last a couple more miles. How many more miles???--now thats the RISK YOU have to take.....run a search on this forum regarding RMS( the neverending saga!). Despite several Porsche RMS Seal updates(including Cayenne RMS included)unfortunately this is quite a recurring problem... BTW, if you ever decide to have the RMS replaced, make sure to check on the condition/lifespan of your clutch.

#3. A simple small "paper roll" could do the trick and stop the creaking if placed right...run a search in this forum-lots of info.

And YES, all of the above are COMMON annoying weakenesses of our beloved 986s....Yep, you gotta love them German Engineers!

Last edited by spine911; 05-29-2006 at 06:45 PM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #3

spine911, thanks for the response !

# 1 - Thanks for the info. I will get this fixed. Couldn't find anything on the forums.

# 2 - I had my laptop at the dealer when I was told about this and did a search on the RMS was very suprised at all the results. Seems like a lot of $$$ with no assuarance that it wouldn't happen again. Ugh ! At least it looks like I am not alone !

# 3 - I did buy some weather stripping ( doors, windows, etc ) at the hardware store and it fixed the problem. Just wondering if new clips were worth the $$$ for a permanent fix...

Even with the "issues", I LOVE the car. I had a 1987 924S before and I just chalk it up to Porsche "character" )

Nick
Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 AM   #4

"# 3 - I did buy some weather stripping ( doors, windows, etc ) at the hardware store and it fixed the problem. Just wondering if new clips were worth the $$$ for a permanent fix..."

Interesting fix. Would you be able to explain in detail the type of weather stripping you used, and exactly where did you placed it on the Wind deflector...THNX!
]
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 AM   #5

Nick, those new windscreen clips are $3.50 each from the parts counter. I can't imagine why they're charging you that huge some to pop off the old ones with a screwdriver and snap on the new ones.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #6

Randall, interesting. Dealer quoted $25 for the part and $110 for labor...

Spine, I bought Closed Cell Weatherstripping from Ace Hardware

1/8 in (T) x 3/8 in (W) x 10 ft (L)

Sticky on one side. Put on the bottom of the windscreen which pushed it up and stopped the rattle.

Hope this helps...

Nick
Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #7

550 spyder is the box's grandfather.

356 Speed\sgter is the 9i11 cabrio's grandfather

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 AM   #8

I stand corrected...

Thanks !

Nick
Old 06-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #9

windscreen clips

Have they made new windscreen clips that stop the rattling due to excessive "play". If so, I want some!
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
550 spyder is the box's grandfather.

356 Speed\sgter is the 9i11 cabrio's grandfather

Hi,

and here is # 47 owned by a friend of mine since new, 41k mi. on the clock right now. He also has a Beck Spyder, because the 550 is now too valuable to drive. His Beck has the Big Motor option and he says it's a way better Car than the original, better built, faster, better Brakes, though certainly not as coveted...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #11

Awesome ! How much is that worth ?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Awesome ! How much is that worth ?
100k's or so. Atleast thats how much John lennon paid for his.
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman12
100k's or so. Atleast thats how much John lennon paid for his.
Hi,

John Lennon died in 1980, they're considerably more now. Fact is, with a car this rare (porsche only made 97 of them) they get pretty much the asking price and there haven't been many come up for sale. My Buddy est. it's worth exceeding $300k at least that's what he has it insured at, but I know he wouldn't sell it for that. Not only is it one of 97, but it's a one-owner of 97 and that makes it worth even more.

I've had the priveledge to ride in it and to drive it. The truth is that it's a very capable Old Car, but for it's day, few surpassed it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #14

Windscreen Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff
Have they made new windscreen clips that stop the rattling due to excessive "play". If so, I want some!

After having my original fly off at 120 mph because of loose clips I have found a simple and cheap solution ...... silicon .... not just for breasts anymore ..... fill the gap with black silicon seal and let it sit over night.
GerardDijkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #15

One of the early 550's, chassis #550-10, a 1954 Le Mans car, sold for a little over $1 million at one of the Pebble Beach, CA, auctions in Aug. of '05. The garden variety 550s, without the provenance of a Le Mans car would be significantly less, but a good one would still be 'way up in the 6 figures.
Just think what #550-055, the James Dean car, would be worth if George Barris hadn't lost the damn thing.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Randall, interesting. Dealer quoted $25 for the part and $110 for labor...
i concur with randall; my clips were like $6.00 for the pair from Jim Ellis here in Atlanta. $110 for labor is a joke; a child could do it in literally two minutes.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote