Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Looking for Mechanic

Hello everybody. I live in a small town in Iowa. Closest Porsche dealer is about an hour away. My son dropped my one and only key fob and the little chip got lost somewhere. We loaded up my 05 Porsche Boxster and took it to the Porsche dealer. They ordered a new key and had trouble programming it. Next they wanted to replace the ignition switch. I told them to wait and I would call the guy I bought it from who lives it Florida. He said the immobilizer had been replaced and they would need to use a different vin number. I called them and gave them the info plus the guy in Florida's phone number in case they had problems. They went ahead and replaced the ignition switch and after the car was there a whole month we ended up just bringing it home. Ended up ordering a immobilizer off of EBay and with very good instructions from Florida guy my boyfriend installed it. The only problem is the ABS and PSM lights won't reset because I need to have it programmed. Not going back to the dealer here. I am getting ready to head to Texas to our vacation house and was wondering if you guys could recommend a Porsche mechanic on my route that could program it for me? Anything in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma or Texas?

Thank you in advance for any help or recommendations you can offer.

JonineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 AM   #2

Porsche of Plano
Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 AM   #3

It appears you don't want to name the dealership, which is cool. It doesn't sound like something Porsche of Omaha would do, as they have pretty good mechanics. If they're not the place you've gone, I would suggest them.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Sucks that you've lost a good portion of convertible weather while your car sits "immobile".
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

Thank you guys for the recommendations. The dealer I went to is located in Davenport, Iowa. I just can't believe they could not fix it. I don't think they tried very hard. This happened back in October. Since we put the other immobilizer in it I have been driving it to work and back. I just ignore the ABS warning. I did attempt in March to make the trip to Florida to have the mechanic there reset or reprogram it for me. I made it to St. Louis and the water pump and serpentine belt broke. Dealer had replaced the belt in October also. Car trailered it back home and replaced the water pump and belt. I hooked it up to my Durametric and most all the codes are coding and programming errors. I will give your recommendations a call and see if they can help me out. Thank you for all your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JonineG is offline   Reply With Quote