Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Panic in the parking lot

Went to the local grocery store for a few items. Since it was a hot day, I decided to take the Box with the top down. Made my purchases and was away from the car for about 2 minutes. When I came back, inserted the key, it would not turn! I said to myself, self' OH CRAP". After a whole bunch of Sailor words your mother would not want to hear and a lot of jiggling the key around, it worked.

What would cause this??? If it happened once, it's going to happen again. Any thoughts, corrective actions?

Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

Electronic portion of the ignition switch, very common, search for spinnaker ignition switch to fund many details $10 part .
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #3

Steering wheel lock. Try turning the wheel a little, first one way and then the other. One way will relieve the tension and allow the key to turn.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Steering wheel lock. Try turning the wheel a little, first one way and then the other. One way will relieve the tension and allow the key to turn.
Oh yeah, this is probably more likely than mine.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #5
Crib

Garage
Based on the probability that the OP has most likely understood the concept of a steering lock, my vote goes for the ignition switch.

Can give that exact same symptom.

Cheap to replace though, as stated.
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:36 AM   #6

During the barrage of full scale Sailor words directed at my car, I did try to move the steering wheel and turn the key; FAIL. I believe my tirade scared the car into submission and decided it was in it's best interest to start properly working.

Going forward, this technique will be added to my list of trouble shooting procedures. Thanks all for your feedback. W/168k miles on the car, changing out the ignition switch is probably prudent.