Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Sold My Miata and bought an 01 Boxster

Greetings, after selling my 01 Miata I purchased an 01 forest green metallic Boxster. What a quantum leap forward I have taken! I Love everything about the Boxster with the exception of the stock stereo with cd changer. I am wondering if there is a new unit that I can purchase that looks stock that is more user friendly with cleaner power? I have read through some threads but want a unit that appears as though it was meant to be in the dash and not an after thought.

Also, at 6'.1" I am wishing I sat an inch lower in the car. I am thinking of taking out the sun visors and maybe changing the foam to thinner, higher density stuff in the bottom seat section to better optimize my seating position. Has anyone tried this or have other suggestions? Thanks

Miata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

Still have your car? I started out in Miatas too.
ScottT80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #3

Congrats! You'll love your car.

Check out the continental radio....looks stock.
Google the Continental TR7412UB-OR
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Welcome to the party!

I graduated from Miata to Boxster in 2015.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

I had a 2000 NB Anniversary edition for a few years. Great car! The Boxster is better, for me.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #6

Garage
I have the 01 Boxster S car and I am also 6'1 ... I have to point my knee's outward when I drive and kind slide down a little in the seat
Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #7

Re the stereo, I'd check the speakers first - the stock dash speakers are known to rot out over time. Next, the stock head unit is also known to be a weak link in terms of sound quality. Depending on your dash layout, a new double-din touchscreen unit is an excellent update while still looking relatively stock. I have a Pioneer 4200-NEX installed and really like it
stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Congrats! You'll love your car.

Check out the continental radio....looks stock.
Google the Continental TR7412UB-OR
Hopefully he did something about the radio 3 years ago
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Dang! Rule one....always check dates....
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #10

Garage
I've also been a long time Miata owner that recently switched to a Boxster. So far I've owned 3 of them and still have 2, one of which is rather forlorn Spec Miata SCCA race car that has been a source of parts to keep the daily driver going

Moving from a Miata to a Boxster is kind of like switching from Rye Whisky to Single Malt it's more refined and smother in so many ways. Both are quite enjoyable in their own way.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Dang! Rule one....always check dates....
OH umm yea.... oh well Guess we just made a former Miata Owners thread
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marck View Post
OH umm yea.... oh well Guess we just made a former Miata Owners thread
True, but nothing wrong with that.

I have an 07 Miata and an 05 Boxster. I decided to keep them both just in case one is in the shop.

I have to agree with most here. The boxster is definitely the better car (ride, power, interior, and exterior), but IMO that's the way it should be when you consider the difference in cost.

Where the Miata shines is in its maintenance. Both cars are reliable, but the Miata is soooooooooooooooo much easier to work on. That and my wife enjoys borrowing the Miata more, so it keeps her hands off my favorite toy.

I'll likely get a new RF Miata in a year or two, but I'll do what it takes to keep my current box alive until I'm not. I prefer the 987 body and interior of this version more than any other (I'm just not a button fan when it comes to sports cars, and the newer models' center consoles are just too cluttered for my tastes). I'll just keep restoring/repairing this one as needed and, thanks to this and other sites, I've had a blast learning how to do some of the maintenance myself.
Krooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #13

Garage
My previous owner went the other way, 02 Boxster to 1 year old Miata with a folding hard top. They did own the Box for 6 years (2nd owner)
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 AM   #14
midlifechrisis

radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman1 View Post
Re the stereo, I'd check the speakers first - the stock dash speakers are known to rot out over time. Next, the stock head unit is also known to be a weak link in terms of sound quality. Depending on your dash layout, a new double-din touchscreen unit is an excellent update while still looking relatively stock. I have a Pioneer 4200-NEX installed and really like it
how hard was it to install? I would like to do this too , is there a conversion wiring kit to make it simple?

Phil
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
My previous owner went the other way, 02 Boxster to 1 year old Miata with a folding hard top. They did own the Box for 6 years (2nd owner)
Kind of similar, I went from an 02 Boxster S to a 96 911 / 993. A couple of years later I added a pristine 99 Miata to the garage, replaced entire suspension, larger wheels / tires, roll bar etc. As noted prior Miatas are very cheap cars to buy, maintain and upgrade, it is also the car I enjoy driving the most......

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote