Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #1

A note on underbody panels....

I just wanted to make a note on underbody panels and how having them properly attached can make a difference. I had 2 front air dams and 3 other panels under my car which were cracked and/or not attached properly. I can only guess how they got that way, they may have been damaged to some degree by a combo of some harsh roads I've driven on in Illinois, and the Sport suspension on my Box. I do know I was missing one of the air dams on the right side front a while back. When I got some service done a few months back, the service dept. noted these panels and showed me the damage. Occasionally before this, under certain conditions my car seemed to "wander" a bit, and wet , windy conditions at higher speeds seemed to excaberate this. I thought perhaps it was an alignment issue. After having the underbody panels replaced, and having driven the car for a few weeks since, I've noticed none of the wandering syndrome I had before. At high speeds ESPECIALLY. The car seems to stick to the road much better, and obviously I underestimated how much the underbody panels help to keep the car aerodynamically sound. I thought I would mention this as you don't seem to hear of anyone one having any work done in this area.....Why mine were so damaged is still a bit of a mystery, but alls well now

Lou

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
olly986

thanks Lou
your the first person i hear talking about under panels so far and i never came accross any company doing upgrades or after market aerodynamics panels.
anyone out there with some news on this?
the nearest i have heard of is front and rear diffusers

see ya