986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clutch problem! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62025-clutch-problem.html)

JayG 06-17-2016 04:49 PM

Clutch problem!

I was driving along and shifted and all of a sudden the clutch felt different.

Instead of engaging at the top, it now engages down at the bottom, almost all the way down.

Car has 81k on the original clutch and the worst part is I am supposed to do a HPDE with my son at the track tomorrow.

It does shift, no slipping, just engages and disengages way down at the bottom.

I did have the clutch bleed 2 days ago and just drove 160 miles to get to the track area

If I do track it tomorrow am I in danger of damaging anything?

I already have a new DMFW for when I change the clutch, just was not expecting to have to do it now

any ideas?

JFP in PA 06-17-2016 05:15 PM

Re bleed it before putting it on the track. The bleeder may not have been tight, or you may have developed an air leak in the slave. If you don't find any air, your pressure plate may have lost a spring, and there will be no track time this weekend.

Timco 06-17-2016 06:16 PM

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like slave because engagement is changed.

Smallblock454 06-17-2016 07:32 PM

Hi JayG,

how did you bleed the clutch? Did you use a under pressure system? If yes how much pressure did you use? Did you first bleed the brakes lines in the sequence from the longest way to the brake cylinder to the shortest and than the clutch?

If you didn't use that sequence or if you didn't use an underpressure system, try to bleed the system again. Don't use too much pressure.

If you get a good clutch everything might be OK, else don't track the car and diagnose the cause for the failing clutch first.

Regards, Markus

thstone 06-17-2016 07:55 PM

Jay, go and see Brad Keegan. He's in a big motorhome and drives a black and yellow 911. Patrick Brass in a white 911 will be with him. He can take a look and give you some advice. Tell him you know me.

JayG 06-18-2016 11:03 AM

Thanks Tom

Brad says hi.

I went to the track last night and met with Dwain and Vali.
The clutch is definitely slipping, so no track time today.

We hung out for a few hours in the morning and my son rode with Dwain for a session

On our way home :(

JayG 06-18-2016 02:24 PM

SB454, I had the clutch bleed done at a top notch indy.
My car has 81 k miles and its just worn out

At least it is still good enough to drive home :)

thstone 06-18-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 499962)
Thanks Tom

Brad says hi.

I went to the track last night and met with Dwain and Vali.
The clutch is definitely slipping, so no track time today.

We hung out for a few hours in the morning and my son rode with Dwain for a session

On our way home :(

Your son rode with the one of the best - Dwain set a track record today of 1:18 today at Streets.