986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cheap tires, What to do? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61905-cheap-tires-what-do.html)

78F350 06-06-2016 12:30 PM

Cheap tires, What to do?

I have a decent set of 18" wheels with three almost new tires on them. I have not driven on them yet. They are jut part of what has been accumulating since I started playing with these cars. The rears are Sumitomo HTR Z II, the ONE front tire I have is a Dunlop Direzza DZ101. I have searched and read reviews. Seems they are not well regarded as high performance tires, but they are almost new and I can't just waste them. What do you recommend:
-Buy another DZ101 for the front?
-Buy a pair of HTR Z II s for the front?
-Throw them all in a dumpster and burn them?
- ...or something else I haven't considered?

Thanks

Smallblock454 06-06-2016 12:49 PM

Get a used tyre for the front, do some drift- and a drivers security trainings with and then dump them. ;) Drift trainings are fun. Have a wheel set just for driver and drift trainings.

Regards, Markus

rick3000 06-06-2016 01:36 PM

I have heard good thinks about the HTR Z II for an inexpensive tire. Depending on the rear tread (i.e. - are they almost gone or brand new?) I would buy a matching pair for the front and try to sell the lone Dunlop. You probably won't get much for the lone tire, but you would be surprised how many people buy used tires. :cheers:

jdraupp 06-06-2016 04:51 PM

The htr iis are so inexpensive I'd grab two of those and use them for track and de like Markus suggests. I just got all new htr iiis on the car and am so far very impressed especially for the price.

itsnotanova 06-06-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 498719)
I have heard good thinks about the HTR Z II for an inexpensive tire. Depending on the rear tread (i.e. - are they almost gone or brand new?) I would buy a matching pair for the front and try to sell the lone Dunlop. You probably won't get much for the lone tire, but you would be surprised how many people buy used tires. :cheers:

X2
My 18 inch Sumitomo's ride better than the 17 inch michelin pilot sport a/s 3's I had to replace them with. I'm a big fan of Sumitomo's.

78F350 06-06-2016 05:34 PM

Thanks all for the input. I think I'll do that and get a pair for the front and keep the Dunlop around for emergencies unless I find a new home for it.
:cheers:

NewArt 06-07-2016 05:22 AM

I have a set of Sumi III tires tahat handle surprisingly well at the track!

PaulE 06-07-2016 06:00 AM

I would only add a suggestion that you check the rears first - make sure they spin round and true and balance up fine. No sense buying the new front tires to match the rears if one of the rears has a hop or a slipped belt. Also check the trueness of the wheels if you haven't driven on them yet, a little wheel or tire wobble can be very annoying.

Topless 06-07-2016 03:21 PM

Check the MFG date on your tires before going any further. If they are more than 5 yrs old, go shopping for some nice new tires. If they are less than 5, put 2 Sumis on the front and enjoy. In the grand scheme of Porsche ownership, tires are the most important part of the car (the contact patch with the road), they are reasonably cheap, and they are expense items like gas and oil. No reason to ever run old lousy tires on a fine sports car.

thstone 06-07-2016 07:20 PM

Sell them.

Then use the money to buy a matched set of 4 of the tires that you want.

stelan 06-07-2016 07:32 PM

send them to me and I will dispose them for free. lol

Retroman1969 06-08-2016 10:38 AM

These cars eat through tires so quickly, I'd just use them up and then get a matched set of your choosing. I'm on my second set of cheap tires on my daily and the ride and performance has been perfectly fine. ;)

jdraupp 06-08-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 498828)
Check the MFG date on your tires before going any further. If they are more than 5 yrs old, go shopping for some nice new tires. If they are less than 5, put 2 Sumis on the front and enjoy. In the grand scheme of Porsche ownership, tires are the most important part of the car (the contact patch with the road), they are reasonably cheap, and they are expense items like gas and oil. No reason to ever run old lousy tires on a fine sports car.

This. I had put off tires for way too long. Amazed at the difference they make.

mikesz 06-09-2016 05:49 AM

I use HTR Z II from tire rack cheap and good grip

ekam 06-09-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 498828)

Excellent advice right there.