Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #1

Newbie in need of Buying help

Hello all,
I am in need of some purchasing advice. I am new to this forum and Porsches but not to fast cars. I have done my research and searched this sight as well. I haven’t found the information I am looking for. I am looking to buy a 99” box with 29K mile, blue leather, cruise, HiFi stereo, 18” wheels with new tires 8k ago. The car was garage kept and never saw snow. The guy is asking $20K

He is the second owner but bought the car with 1200 miles on it. He has never had the car services but has changed the oil every 5Kmile as well as all the other fluids that needed attention. How important is it to have the car serviced at 15K and 30K. I know the belt needs to be done at 60K but that is not due for a while.

Questions
-Would it be wise to buy the car with it not being service?
-How important are the services if the car is cared for and oil changed
-Could I do most of the maintenance and have the dealer do the big ones, like 60K service. (986faq.com give the list of things that need to be done. I also saw on this forum that most work could be done with some know how and an OBD II reader)

Any and all help would be appreciated.

GW

VTvaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #2

http://www.986faq.com/7-0/schedule.asp

For the most part, the 15k service is a glorified oil change. Mostly it's general inspection of belts, hoses, etc. Basically to try and catching anything that might need adjustment/replacing premeturely. It checks obvious things like headlight operation, horn operation, tire pressure, leak checks, etc. If you are mildly competent, you can do this yourself.

30k is the 15k service, plus a more thorough inspection and replacement of things such as engine air filter, oil filter, and spark plugs. This will check such items as brake pads, clutch, polyrib belt, exhaust system, etc. I've heard that this ranges from $600-1000.

If the car hasn't had the 15k service, but has had oil changes and new tires, then that is not bad. However, it's in your best interest in any case to get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done by a Porsche dealer. Also since it's so close to the 30k service, you might want to either ask to have it done before you take the car (and adjust the purchase price as you see fit), or just plan on dropping at least $600 extra to have it done once you buy it. Granted you can replace the oil and filter, air filter, and spark plugs yourself and then take it to the dealer for the remainder of the service (will save you some big bucks).

I think you've got a good car, but be careful. The PPI is your best defense against anything that would have been caught had he done the servicing and needs to be fixed.

How does the car run? Does the clutch feel loose or heavy? Is there any play in the shifter or the e-brake? Does the engine idle smoothly with no roughness or excessive vibration? Do the brakes feel solid and squeal-free when braking hard? When you do a test drive, does the car temp come to just at or slightly above the 180 mark after the engine is warm?

These are probably stuff you've already looked at, but never hurts to bring them up again.

Last edited by Wintermute; 05-25-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvaster
Hello all,
I am in need of some purchasing advice. I am new to this forum and Porsches but not to fast cars. I have done my research and searched this sight as well. I haven’t found the information I am looking for. I am looking to buy a 99” box with 29K mile, blue leather, cruise, HiFi stereo, 18” wheels with new tires 8k ago. The car was garage kept and never saw snow. The guy is asking $20K

He is the second owner but bought the car with 1200 miles on it. He has never had the car services but has changed the oil every 5Kmile as well as all the other fluids that needed attention. How important is it to have the car serviced at 15K and 30K. I know the belt needs to be done at 60K but that is not due for a while.

Questions
-Would it be wise to buy the car with it not being service?
-How important are the services if the car is cared for and oil changed
-Could I do most of the maintenance and have the dealer do the big ones, like 60K service. (986faq.com give the list of things that need to be done. I also saw on this forum that most work could be done with some know how and an OBD II reader)

Any and all help would be appreciated.

GW
Hi,

Sounds as if you've done your homework. First off, $20k seems a bit high for a 2-owner car, even with lower mileage. I bought my '99 a year ago w/ 17k mi., 1-owner for $17k, but admittedly, this was a very good deal. This Car was absolutely Perfect, not a mark on it anywhere and it had new tires <500mi. whereas yours are anywhere from 30%-50% gone at 8k mi. Also, what Tires are on the Car - are they 'N' rated Tires?

Also, you don't mention what options/upgrades have been done. Does the Car have the OBC (On-Board Computer - 4 stalks on the column), Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Power seats, CD Changer, PSM, Rear Storage Box, Rear Speakers, Windstop, Lighted Vanity Mirrors, Floor Mats, 3-spoke Sport Steering Wheel, Cover, Bra, etc? I'm not sure what you mean by Hi-Fi Stereo, but all of the above options will affect the price.

So far as service, the 15k and 30k service contain many as needed things and a thorough, learned, inspection. The Belt, Plugs and some other components have a time interval in addition to the mileage interval and a '99 would require the Belt now as well as Plugs.

The wisdom of buying a non-serviced Car depends upon the Car and this can only be determined by a proper PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) by a Porsche Dealer or Porsche Qualified Mechanic - about $300. Step Away From the Boxster... until you have this done. Not a Guarantee, but can spot issues and save you from buying them along with the Car. Can also help in the negotiating.

Like I said, $20k mi. is somewhat high - $18.5k - $19k would be a better price for a '99 - the '00s can be had for $20k with some searching. I would ask at least $20k for mine but I have added the OBC Hack, Lighted Vanity Mirrors, Rear Speakers, New Mats, Porsche Cover, Porsche Bra/Mirror Bra, Rear Window Pillow, Halon Extinguisher and Bracket, 3-spoke Sport Steering Wheel, Console Mounted Garage Door Opener, Dash Spoiler Switch, Chrome Exhaust Tailpipe, Das Shild, Crested Valve Caps, SS Brake Lines. And it already had the Windstop kit, Body Color Roll Bars, Colored Wheel Crests, and it's in even better condition than when I bought it.

You can perform most of the Maintenance and many of the Repairs depending upon your skill level and the size of your toolbox. There's a very good aftermarket PC-based OBDII Reader w/ reset software for about $200, and the Bentley Manual can be had for under $70. But, the most important tool for you right now is the PPI, it will ease any doubts you have and well worth it - it can keep you from making a B$G mistake. Hope this helps and Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-25-2006 at 05:50 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #4

In accordance with MNBoxster's advice, this is a pretty good site (though incomplete) that has alot of tips on doing maintenance yourself.

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Blog/B600322026/index.html
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #5

I second the motion.

Get a PPI at a Porsche dealer.

It is a must.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #6

I purchased my Boxster in April, so I just went through the same decision-making process. If I had a pre-purchase inspection, I wouldn't worry about the lack of dealer service. As long as you are sure he changed the oil.

My car is a 2000 that had 30k on it when I bought it from the original owner. I paid $21,250 which I think was generous. So I'd think you could buy a 99 for less than $20,000.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I will definately have the PPI done before buying the car. The one upside is that the current owner if a friend of the families so I can take his work for the work that he had done. I am gonna see if he takes $19K for it and I will have the 30K done.

If anyone has any more advice I am always looking for more information.

Thanks again

VTvaster is offline   Reply With Quote