986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cooked it at the track! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61747-cooked-track.html)

NewArt 05-24-2016 06:01 PM

Cooked it at the track!

Came out of a hairpin and went WOT into a lovely spin! WTF? Seems I slipped on my own coolant which was pissing out of the overflow (brilliantly placed just in front of the right rear wheel! :eek:
On checking that out, I find that there is oil all over the top of the engine. And my power steering fluid is rapidly leaking from somewhere... :rolleyes:
I started digging in today and am now preparing my parts list. Since I live in the frozen north (strong and free), it generally means that I pay twice as much, and it takes twice as long... :(
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1464141666.jpg

Timco 05-24-2016 08:09 PM

What a bummer!

Do you know the extent of the failures?

thstone 05-24-2016 08:40 PM

Sorry to hear about the issues. I know your pain all too well.

Fix it quickly and get back out there!

rick3000 05-24-2016 08:58 PM

Sorry to hear about that, hopeful she is back up and running soon. Just a reminder/FYI, power steering fluid can damage the coolant hoses, if it was leaking make sure to inspect all of the hoses.

NewArt 05-25-2016 02:52 AM

AOS failure. Leaking boots on the intake cross tubes. Coolant purge valve brittle and cracked big-time. Other stuff to keep me busy and poor until my next event! :rolleyes:

geraintthomas 05-25-2016 03:32 AM

At least that's all relatively minor stuff compared to what it could have been. Sorry to hear though!

itsnotanova 05-25-2016 04:06 AM

Sounds like things got hot from being worked hard on the track and overflowed. I'm no mechanic but it seems to me all you need to do is clean up and get back out there.

steved0x 05-25-2016 04:41 AM

Glad you and the bodywork on the car are OK!

GTA_G20 05-25-2016 05:17 AM

Lots of parts guys in MTL. Youll be back out there in no time

Burg Boxster 05-25-2016 05:28 AM

Sorry to hear but glad no damage to you, your vehicle and especially nobody else's as things can go really wrong really fast at PDEs.

Good luck w/ your repairs! :)

jb92563 05-25-2016 12:45 PM

With the steering fluid I wondered if you have an undrive pulley so the racing rpms put less stress on the pump.

I always say that broken stuff is an opportunity for upgrades.

I read on the forums here somewhere that someone had come up with a DIY AOS that is a clean and robust install thats really working well. Might be worth a search rather than paying $700 for a race version.

It seems that stock AOS just does not hold up well for racing.

NewArt 05-25-2016 04:28 PM

No underdrive pulley. Basically stock. I do need to address the occasional smoke bomb/flashing cel at the track. We'll see with the new AOS. The tubes were full of oil!

husker boxster 05-25-2016 06:19 PM

Did you check your pwr steering fluid level before the event? My hunch is many failures / overheating happens because the reservoir is low. Takes 20 min to even check it, so I think ppl don't bother. Then the DE stresses it to the max. I check my level as part of my pre-DE routine. It's a bit easier in a Cayman but still takes 15 min. Best investment in 15 min that I can make.

And with 2 987 Ss in the garage, I have a spare AOS on hand. Have started taking it to long-distance DEs because it doesn't take up much space and it would be invaluable if one blows at an event. I have the IPD plenum and GT3 TB on my CSS and the good thing with the IPD plenum is you get to close off one of the hoses to the AOS. Think that puts less stress on the AOS.

How many sessions did you get in before the failures?

NewArt 05-26-2016 05:24 PM

It was on my third run. Missed the last run and all of the 2nd day. :(
Actually, I knew I had a small power steering leak, but I have yet to locate it.
I changed out the AOS today and replaced the coolant releif valve which was completely shot!
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1464312226.jpg
:eek:
This is only 2 years old!

AndyA6 05-26-2016 06:11 PM

Under drive pulley....get it! Keeps the power steering fluid at lower temps, known issue.

Motorsport AOS is well advised as well.

NewArt 05-26-2016 07:13 PM

Okay, ordered the RSS underdrive pulley. :)

thstone 05-26-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 497431)
Okay, ordered the RSS underdrive pulley. :)

Good move! I melted two power steering hoses from track heat. Not a single problem with the power steering system since I installed a UDP.

I am also in the process of wiring a dedicated switch to the engine compartment fan so I can manually run the fan for 10-15 mins after I come off the track to help cool off everything in the engine compartment. I'll post the details when I complete it.