986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Advice on New Headlights - '98 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61522-advice-new-headlights-98-986-a.html)

sparky073 05-06-2016 11:01 AM

Advice on New Headlights - '98 986

My second set of headlights have burnt lenses which spoils an otherwise great looking car. I have a lead on a set of factory replacements which are in near mint condition.

Before I install the replacement headlights, I'd like to take precautions from having the lenses burn again.

I was hoping that it would be as simple as replacing the halogen bulbs with LED's (lower wattage = lower temperatures), but in reading the threads here it's clear that it's not that simple.

Don't mind getting my hands dirty, but the retrofit where the assembly is baked in the oven, etc seems a little too involved for my tastes, albeit with wonderful results.

If anyone could offer advice or share their similar experiences, it would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, in Canada and need to use the Daytime Running Lights.

texomawaves 05-09-2016 05:22 AM

I'm in the same boat. The oven bake DIY doesn't seem all that difficult. I just want to replace the yellowed inner lenses. Are you buying the whole headlamp assemblies or just the inner lenses? I dont have an answer regarding the halogen bulb temps, and I'd like to know the answer as well.

sparky073 05-09-2016 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves (Post 495283)
I'm in the same boat. The oven bake DIY doesn't seem all that difficult. I just want to replace the yellowed inner lenses. Are you buying the whole headlamp assemblies or just the inner lenses? I dont have an answer regarding the halogen bulb temps, and I'd like to know the answer as well.

Thanks for your reply...I can purchase the entire headlight assembly from a guy who replaced headlights and taillights on his Boxster. I don't think you can buy just the inner lenses, there is no way of replacing them (?).

Suppose if I were to learn how to do the projector retrofit, involving baking the headlight for dis-assembly, there's no need to purchase new headlights - I would just do the mod on my old set. Just not sure what parts I need to buy and where to buy them.

texomawaves 05-09-2016 11:53 AM

the Litronics upgrade kit is expensive (about a grand or so). The after market HID projectors may be illegal in some states. I'm having trouble finding replacement inner lenses. I'm sure if I could figure a replacement inner lense solution for a reasonable cost, I'd probably make some $$. If you found a set of good headlights, that would be your best option in my opinion. But back to your original question, how to prevent them from turning yellow and melting/cracking the inner lense. I dont know...

grc0456 05-09-2016 01:00 PM

Search, my friends, search. This topic has been widely posted. You cannot buy the inner lens replacement, so your options are buy new (halogen or Litronics), buy used (same), open them up and install projector-style, or go with LED replacements (you'll find many detractors and supporters of these).

Forum member particlewave will be know quite a lot bit more than I do.

petee_c 05-10-2016 11:24 AM

Sparky,

Is this a US car in Canada? Or a cdn car?

I brought my US car home to Canada back in 2009,and only jumpered the fuse box to get DRL for the federalization inspection.

I hardly run daytime lights on this vehicle. There is a way to use the fogs for DRL as well.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

sparky073 05-17-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petee_c (Post 495468)
Sparky,

Is this a US car in Canada? Or a cdn car?

I brought my US car home to Canada back in 2009,and only jumpered the fuse box to get DRL for the federalization inspection.

I hardly run daytime lights on this vehicle. There is a way to use the fogs for DRL as well.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

It's a Canadian car, DRL's work. Mentioned this in my original post because I thought it might be pertinent to any retrofit.

Looks like I'll need to learn to do the projector retrofit, doesn't seem to be any better way.