986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Yellow headlight inner lense replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61377-yellow-headlight-inner-lense-replacement.html)

texomawaves 04-25-2016 05:08 PM

Yellow headlight inner lense replacement

Is there a replacement inner lense that would work or anything other than the expensive HID/Litronics? I don't want to do a major modification and rather replace just the inner lense. Is there some kind of inexpensive solution?

particlewave 04-25-2016 05:14 PM

Nope. You can open them up and remove them completely. That and projector install is it. :(

rexcramer 04-25-2016 06:50 PM

Check with Woody, care of 'itsnotanova', he parts out cars and is very reasonable with price and shipping.

thom4782 04-26-2016 07:54 AM

Oxidation of the clear coat that covers the headlight lens often causes yellowing. Before you spend a ton of time and / or money replacing the lens, try a headlight restoration kit or a local headlight restoration service. You've got little to lose. Lens burned from the inside are a completely different issue

particlewave 04-26-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 493351)
Oxidation of the clear coat that covers the headlight lens often causes yellowing. Before you spend a ton of time and / or money replacing the lens, try a headlight restoration kit or a local headlight restoration service. You've got little to lose. Lens burned from the inside are a completely different issue

He's referring to the inner lens, not the inside of the main lens.

texomawaves 04-26-2016 12:57 PM

the yellowed (inside) part guys... Perhaps someone can fabricate replacement lenses. Perhaps someone can run down to Hobby Lobby and make one! :)

BirdDog 04-27-2016 01:06 PM

As far as I know the inner lenses aren't available separately. I have a set of brand new inner lenses that I picked up from someone that did a projector conversion. At the time I planned to use them to replace my burned inner lenses but ended up buying a set of good used headlights instead. I kept the outer rubber seals from my original headlights and I still have those new inner lenses. I'm planning to put them up for sale on the forums in the very near future (I really need to clean out my unused parts).

There was a thread on the forum that detailed how someone replaced the inner lenses. I think you have to heat the headlight to 250 F (wearing gloves!) in order to soften up the sealer enough to get the outer lens off. The outer lens snaps into a groove in the housing and must be pried out.

texomawaves 05-01-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdDog (Post 493587)
As far as I know the inner lenses aren't available separately. I have a set of brand new inner lenses that I picked up from someone that did a projector conversion. At the time I planned to use them to replace my burned inner lenses but ended up buying a set of good used headlights instead. I kept the outer rubber seals from my original headlights and I still have those new inner lenses. I'm planning to put them up for sale on the forums in the very near future (I really need to clean out my unused parts).

There was a thread on the forum that detailed how someone replaced the inner lenses. I think you have to heat the headlight to 250 F (wearing gloves!) in order to soften up the sealer enough to get the outer lens off. The outer lens snaps into a groove in the housing and must be pried out.

Bird Dog, If you wanted to sell the inner lenses, what would you want for them?