986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Temporary Plastic Window reinforcement. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61368-temporary-plastic-window-reinforcement.html)

petee_c 04-25-2016 10:02 AM

Temporary Plastic Window reinforcement.

Did a search but couldn't find any posts about patching plastic windows.

Well my '01S window seems to be nearing the end. I've got a small full thickness crack about 3/16" long on the driverside edge, and a small 1/4" area of weakness on the passenger side of vinyl window. Something tells me that I need to karate chop EVERY SINGLE TIME from now on in order to keep this window for the next year or 2.

The clarity of the window is very good. I use Pledge furniture polish on it a couple times a month during the driving season.

Has anyone successfully patched a small crack or area of the window to get through a season or two of driving?

This is basically a fair weather car, only on the road from April to November.

I do have some thick clear vinyl tape (hockey shin tape for Canadian's eh?) I'm thinking about cutting a small 3/4"x1" patch for each side. Wondering how the adhesive will hold up parked in the sun during the day when I'm at work?

Any goop or other adhesive recommendations for a 'temp' repair?

DrCactus 04-25-2016 10:03 AM

Pledge furniture polish - what does this do? On inside and outside ??

petee_c 04-25-2016 10:37 AM

My father in law used it on the plastic windshield on his motorcycle. He got the tip ages ago when he had a small 4 seater plane. It was what the airplane mechanic recommended for the canopy to clean it. This is was back in the 70s before plexus and microfiber cloths.

I use it sometimes on my sport bike and its windscreen.

I use it on the outside of the plastic windscreen when it starts looking dusty with a mf cloth. Probably every couple weeks during the driving season. I only clean the inside 1-2x per year.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

nieuwhzn 04-25-2016 10:26 PM

If you don't mind appearance! Get some vinyl window replacement material from, for instance, SailRite. Get some vinyl glue. Cut 2 vinyl strips of about 2 inch wide and glue to the inside of your window where the cracks are. Et voilą, looks crappy, but can hold for years.

Xpit77 04-26-2016 03:43 AM

pledge

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 493189)
Pledge furniture polish - what does this do? On inside and outside ??

Use it on both sides to remove the dull finish.Kinda like wax for the window. Boaters use it.

ScottStu 04-26-2016 09:07 AM

I have two small cracks (one on each side) and I bought a window patch kit from amazon that worked great. Very clear and does not show up much.