986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Have you done this yet? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61316-have-you-done-yet.html)

particlewave 04-20-2016 07:45 PM

Have you done this yet?

Common sense for the veterans, but for the newer guys...

Put these items in a ziploc bag and place the bag in the pocket behind the driver or passenger seat after you relocate the emergency front trunk release cable to the tow hook hole.

1) Tow hook
2) Lug key (if you have OE security lugs)
3) Spare ignition switch and small screwdriver for its set screws (make sure you get the correct switch)

An OBDII reader is handy and I keep one in each of my vehicles. This one was all of $12 and works just fine.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/a...C93C5ECDB3.jpg

So many issues could be avoided if every owner did this.
If you've relocated the emergency hood release, keeping the other items in the passenger cabin seems redundant, but redundancy is a good thing.

Cunningr 04-20-2016 09:29 PM

Why would you need to relocate the frunk realease. I didnt even know ther was an emergency realease. Where would i find that my owners manual is in Spanish and i need to source me an eglish version for left hand drive european 00 S.

Also how can you tell if you have locks, i asked the guy i bought the car from as meticulus he was on maintenance he never touched the car for maint and didnt know what i was talking about.

rick3000 04-20-2016 09:52 PM

There is a wire cable behind the front right wheel that will manually open the front trunk if your battery were to die. However, it is a total pain to access (especially with the steering lock engaged), so a lot of owners relocate the cable to the front tow cap for easier access. Rerouting the cable requires removing the bumper.

If your car has OEM wheel locks, one of the five lugs on each wheel will look different, with around head instead of a regular hex head. The wheel lock key (like the one pictured above) is required to remove the wheels locks. There are several different lock patterns, so they are not interchangeable.

Ian c 04-21-2016 03:02 AM

I'm not sure if it was a 2003 upgrade thing , but some cars have a connection in the fuse box for applying a 12v to open the trunk when the battery is flat .

kk2002s 04-21-2016 03:09 AM

I was able to get to the cable removing my Passenger side headlight
I travel with a full tool kit, extra water, oil, fix-a-flat, spare Fuel pump relay
When I go multi-day road trips, I'm way overboard on extras

I also bought a cheap ODBII reader but now I use the Phone app Torque and blue tooth reader. What nice about that is I can read immediately and clear minor (gas cap loose) codes

But I still carry reader

DrCactus 04-21-2016 03:16 AM

Can you send link to where I can get the OBDII reader please

Luckyed 04-21-2016 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 492600)
I'm not sure if it was a 2003 upgrade thing , but some cars have a connection in the fuse box for applying a 12v to open the trunk when the battery is flat .

I used the jump post from my fuse box in my 2001 base.

FYI

kk2002s 04-21-2016 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 492602)

Not sure which one you're asking for
ODBII reader any auto parts store

Blue Tooth ODBII - Amazon (I got a Blue one $3-$4) These can be niggly and sometimes don't work, mine works correctly

Torque is from Google Play store(Android) Free and Pay versions

p3230 04-21-2016 05:06 AM

Reader

You can get a good OBD II Reader at Canadian Tire probably or any auto store.

steved0x 04-21-2016 05:08 AM

My emergency frunk release is rerouted, I have an extra ignition switch and fuel pump relay (but no little screwdriver, I need to remedy that) and I chucked the locking lugs some time ago (and am now on studs). I have an ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII module and OBDII Doctor on my phone.

stelan 04-21-2016 09:17 PM

Mine is a 99, mechanical cable operated trunk, in what year did they change to electric?

BoxsterSteve 04-22-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelan (Post 492760)
Mine is a 99, mechanical cable operated trunk, in what year did they change to electric?

2002 or2003

particlewave 04-22-2016 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 492600)

I would not count on it. It's a good idea to reroute your cable, regardless. I see a post every month or so in which someone can't get the jump point post to work.
It also won't help you one bit when the front trunk actuator fails, weakens or gets stuck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 492602)

This is the one that I have (I have 3, actually). The price went up, though. $18.85...
http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS309-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B001LHQBMC
I don't use the Bluetooth readers because they can be buggy and a lot don't work at all with iPhones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelan (Post 492760)

2001 ;)
But don't let that make you think that you don't need to reroute your cable. There are still a number of things that can lock you out, like a broken cable or lever, an electrical problem like the ignition switch or an alarm fault, a car that was armed and now has a dead battery, bad door microswitch, etc...
The lever is locked in place when the door is shut or alarm active.

tomonomics 04-22-2016 06:39 AM

I have the Bluetooth ODBII reader in the glove compartment. The tow hook, wheel key, and a wheel guide bolt in with the spare tire.

I keep a small 600A Starter/Charger/USB battery in the storage behind the seats, with a cigarette lighter adapter in case I need power to open the trunk. Doesn't protect against the actuator or switch failing, but I take my chances as opposed to taking off the bumper.

Oh, and a AAA card in my wallet.

Fintro11 04-22-2016 09:19 AM

I keep my ob2 wffi connector in the rear storage ( need wifi one if you have an iPhone ). And my wheel lock socket ( sometimes I forget it on my tool box)

particlewave 10-23-2016 02:47 PM

Bump for the noobs. :p

BhamBox 10-23-2016 04:24 PM

Thank you for bumping this thread! I never thought about doing this. I have an old toiletry bag that would be perfect for these items in. I will look into moving the hood release. One of my future projects was to remove the bumper cover to clean out any debris behind the radiator, this would be a good time to move the release.

Porsche9 10-23-2016 07:16 PM

Any reason to get a Durmetric vs a generic OB2 reader? Huge price difference.

particlewave 10-24-2016 08:00 PM

The Durametric will tell you a lot more about your car if you are the wrenching type.

Not worth the price for the average Joe. ;)

jb92563 10-26-2016 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 492767)
2002 or2003

My 01 S has electric frunk/trunk.