Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #1

Garage
Lightbulb Plastic Back Window

Hey guys, I noticed this year my back plastic window has a white fogy looking 4 inch strip down the centre going across width wise where the window folds. Basically making it impossible to see through the window anymore. Does anyone have any idea if this can be easily cleared up somehow ?

Thanks in advance
DR.C

Old 04-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #2

I use Pledge furniture spray. Clean the window then apply the spray and polish. It lasts for a while. A lot of boat owners use this as they have a lot of plastic windows.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #3

Garage
Try the Novus 1 2 3 system. It definitely increased clarity for me I also maintain the window with plexus in addition to the Novus 123.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:48 AM   #4

Garage
I used headlight restore polishing compound to get scratching out. Worked great and when I start getting fogging will try that method as well
Old 04-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #5

And after you get it clear-keep it clear

Before putting the top down wipe the window with a wet paper towel then pat dry (don't rub dry, PAT). If you use a white paper towel to wet wipe it you'll find very fine dark dust on the plastic. When the top goes down, the plastic folds on itself and this dust acts like sand paper. I always clean mine before lowering and I'm on the original '02 window and I only need to use Plexus one or two times a year (and then I of course use micro-fiber and not paper).
The one time I failed to clean it (a windshield repair guy needed to have the top lowered and I didn't clean it) I got that fog in the middle and had to use Plexus to get rid of it. Good luck. Tom

Last edited by tlc356sc; 04-17-2016 at 02:38 PM.
tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
+1 for Plexus
I use it to clean my plastic window and headlights. If you don't want to order it online, it can normally be found locally at boating stores, like West Marine.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

+2 for Plexus

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ramen View Post
+2 for Plexus

Plus 3 for Plexus - my boat and jeep also get the Plexus treatment.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #9

Garage
I bought a bottle of Plexus - now my question is - is the issue on the INSIDE or the OUTSIDE ? What is the best way to use this product for my issue?

Thanks all
Old 04-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
For the outside I spray it directly on the plastic window then wipe it off with a microfiber towel. For the inside, I spray it on the towel first. The inside can be pretty awkward, so you might want to put the top in the service position first (open it half way).
Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

If the top is old... I'm thinking the clear plastic has chemically changed. Mine did. I ended up ordering a new top for around $350 and there is a good DIY here. It wasn't that easy of a job, and you need to be a skilled handy man. However, my top install turned out great! :dance:

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #12

Garage
replacement top

Quote:
Originally Posted by texomawaves View Post
If the top is old... I'm thinking the clear plastic has chemically changed. Mine did. I ended up ordering a new top for around $350 and there is a good DIY here. It wasn't that easy of a job, and you need to be a skilled handy man. However, my top install turned out great! :dance:
Where did you get the replacement top for $350. Would you mind posting pictures of what it looks like on your car? My rear window cracked last week. It's temporarily repaired with clear shipping tape as I investigate replacement options. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #13

For the future, use a piece of soft felt between the folds. Dirt abrades the surface when the two folds rub together.

I used a Novus 1 2 and 3 kit on mine. They are 2 abrasive level bottles to remove the dirt and scum with the final bottle working to polish the surface.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:19 AM   #14

You should avoid cleaning plastic with paper towels. Always use a soft cotton or micro fiber.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblackman View Post
Where did you get the replacement top for $350. Would you mind posting pictures of what it looks like on your car? My rear window cracked last week. It's temporarily repaired with clear shipping tape as I investigate replacement options. Thanks!
I bought mine from Convertible Top Replacements | Auto Tops Direct Car Tops last summer for $370. and it was with the German A5 fabric. The install is a little daunting but mine came out pretty good except for a few wrinkles on the drivers side but that was my fault I'm sure. I saved around $700. in labor though, so I can live with the wrinkles or try to correct them. I just checked and their prices start at $339., the one I bought is now $409. or you can go with a glass window for a few hundred more.

Last edited by joecal; 04-16-2016 at 08:45 AM.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
You should avoid cleaning plastic with paper towels. Always use a soft cotton or micro fiber.
+1. Especially when using cleaning products like plexus or Novus. They even say right on the bottle not to use paper towels.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
Absolutely!

Paper towels are abrasive, and they have wax on them, you'll never get rid of the streaks.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:56 AM   #18

Garage
The plexus I bought from the store is liquid not a spray ... they don't seem to sell the spray kind here only the white thick liquid kind. I tried it out but the middle window (where folds) still stays pretty foggy looking. Not sure if there is anything else I can do to resolve this other than full replacement
Old 04-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #19

I would not use micro fiber on the plastic window unless it's a new towel, and use only the non-prickly side.

There's also a product called Renovo that is more of abrasive polish used on Lexan hard plastic windows and soft bendable plastics. There are also buffing pads you can use with a power drill made for clear plastics, basically what they use on cloudy headlights.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:03 AM   #20

Garage
I place a soft cloth on the window when putting top down so the window does not fold on itself. I also treat the window to keep it clean and pliable.