986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do you use your key to roll up the windows? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61286-do-you-use-your-key-roll-up-windows.html)

Perfectlap 04-18-2016 10:44 AM

Do you use your key to roll up the windows?

Now that nice weather is back (as long as you're not in Texas), I found myself having to raise the windows when parking with the top down. Then I realized in over 11 years of driving the car I'd never raised the windows using the key in the keyhole option.
How many of you have never done this either?

rick3000 04-18-2016 11:27 AM

I have raised the windows with the key in the door lock only a handful of times, mostly in the same situation, parking with the top down, then realizing I would like to put the windows up.

BIGJake111 04-18-2016 11:55 AM

I put the top up when parked, but when I have the hardtop on the car and ride around windows down I always use the key to raise the Windows, particularly since my fob doesn't work and I am sticking my key in the lock anyways.

particlewave 04-18-2016 12:08 PM

I have these sweet rocker switches in my center console that make the windows go up and down, so I just use those. ;)

:p

Porsche9 04-18-2016 02:01 PM

Never actually use the key in the keyhole. I have a color matching key hole plug. I have other cars that I use the remote to close but more often open windows as I approach the car.

NewArt 04-18-2016 05:26 PM

Eh? (I'm Canadian, that would be "huh?" in American). How does this work? Never heard of it...

rick3000 04-18-2016 05:31 PM

You can put both windows up or down by putting the key in the door lock and holding it to the left or right. :cheers:

rexcramer 04-18-2016 07:38 PM

I love that feature both ways. Helps get the heat out of the car before entering.

amagalla 04-18-2016 07:53 PM

I've always felt that the windows should go up automatically when arming the alarm. The aftermarket alarm in my old Miata did that. It'would be a pretty cool hack to enable that on the Boxsters (I'm looking at you, particlewave).

DrCactus 04-19-2016 02:57 AM

Absolutely.... its the best when you are entering your car in dead of summer... great way to let the hot air out of your car before you enter it. People find that really cool feature.

I wish there was a way to link that feature to the key remote somehow - pressing a button on the remote to open the windows would boost the cool factor big time!

Timco 04-19-2016 03:45 AM

Never knew that. Will try today.

Thanks.

CoBeerToad 04-19-2016 05:25 AM

I found this feature a few months after I bought it. Very neat. Then I bought these stupid things.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...psutqgbolm.png

Now I can't do that anymore. And I have to leave the window down when storing it because I'm way to lazy to pull that thing out.

particlewave 04-19-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 492238)
Absolutely.... its the best when you are entering your car in dead of summer... great way to let the hot air out of your car before you enter it. People find that really cool feature.

I wish there was a way to link that feature to the key remote somehow - pressing a button on the remote to open the windows would boost the cool factor big time!

Wait a tick...

You hold the key turned in the lock to roll the window down instead of just...I don't know...opening the door! :eek:
Seriously, though...I've never used it and it seems like a completely useless feature. :p

Retroman1969 04-19-2016 11:27 AM

Wow, I just tried this and it works! Who knew? ;)

boxster6354 04-19-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 492284)
Wait a tick...

You hold the key turned in the lock to roll the window down instead of just...I don't know...opening the door! :eek:
Seriously, though...I've never used it and it seems like a completely useless feature. :p

You would of thought so...... but in the Texas heat it does help to be able to roll down both windows before getting in (top being up of course :D.)

Not sure why the key FOB would not do it also, all my other cars you just hold down the unlock button a few seconds and it lowers the windows.

rick3000 04-19-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxster6354 (Post 492309)
Not sure why the key FOB would not do it also, all my other cars you just hold down the unlock button a few seconds and it lowers the windows.

Newers Porsche do this. The company that makes smartTop makes a thing called remoteTop that enables windows control from the key fob. :cheers:

Perfectlap 04-20-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxster6354 (Post 492309)
You would of thought so...... but in the Texas heat it does help to be able to roll down both windows before getting in (top being up of course :D.)

When I visit my folks in Florida and the car is parked outside, like when we go to the mall or something, it gets so hot inside the car that I have to walk out ahead of time just get in and roll down the windows. Can't put an elderly person with a heart condition in a 100 degree car. Since I don't use the key trick in my 986 I never thought of trying it on other cars.

petee_c 04-20-2016 09:20 AM

The key trick also works on recent VW's and Audi's too... (both the '02 and '06 jetta did it as well as my wife's '11 q7)

geraintthomas 04-20-2016 11:10 AM

My dads new Octavia VRS does it from the key if you hold down the unlock or lock button. I'm guessing the Boxster doesn't do this?

geraintthomas 04-21-2016 09:20 AM

Actually, it does! Just tried it on mine :)

https://youtu.be/kuXBZeIuVho