986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   99 Boxster 2.5/5 speed-sweet! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61275-99-boxster-2-5-5-speed-sweet.html)

PaulE 04-17-2016 08:32 PM

99 Boxster 2.5/5 speed-sweet!

I live in NJ and own an 03 S, but had never driven a base Boxster. I came out to California for a weeklong cycling trip and a friend in LA picked me up at the airport. When we got to his house I learned that he recently bought a 99 Boxster - 2.5 liter and 5 speed. It's a clean car, guards red, Savannah beige interior and black top, just under 50k miles, 17 inch wheels, not modified at all except for an aftermarket radio, Federal brand tires in the stock 17 inch sizes front and rear. We finished our cycling trip yesterday and I spent last night at his house. Today we took the Boxster out for a drive up the Pacific Coast highway from Santa Monica to Oxnard and back, top down on the way up and top up on the way home due to the sunburn we both got! I have to say I was surprised how much I liked his Boxster. My S has a little more oomph, but the 2.5 still had plenty. It also felt a little firmer than mine. I thought it might be equipped with sport suspension, not sure if that was available in 99, maybe it was the tires and the air pressures he's running. His front hood is stuck closed, the cable doesn't seem to be broken, I think the solenoid that locks it may be stuck, he doesn't have any tools and we had no time to dig into it. I also tried the Porsche Dealer Build Sheet link posted here a few weeks ago but his would not produce the Build sheet. I did try to find reverse in the wrong spot when backing up a couple of times, but I never tried to shift into 6th at highway speed!

fridsten 04-18-2016 02:17 AM

About his front hood - it probably has a mechanical cable release - my 99 does, so no solenoid.
If he can find the cable, he should just be able to pull it to open the hood. It probably needs some repair anyway.

Luv2Box 04-18-2016 05:59 AM

The "emergency" release cable is in the front passenger side wheel well under the liner. You'll probably have to remove the tire to unscrew and remove the liner. Once you access the cable and get the frunk open reroute the cable so it comes out the tow hook hole so if there is a next time it is easy to access and pull straight out on. You'll probably want to replace the locking mechanism, which is mechanical (no solenoid).

PaulE 04-19-2016 08:53 PM

Thanks

I know the 99 has a cable release, the release lever did have tension and I could see the cable still attached to it. I thought there was also some kind of solenoid that actually deadbolt locked the front and rear trunks as well. Anyway, he had no tools and was going to take it in to his shop, I left LA Sunday night so I can't try to do anything else for him.