986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Matt Farah loves the 718 Boxster! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61216-matt-farah-loves-718-boxster.html)

njbray 04-12-2016 08:01 PM

Matt Farah loves the 718 Boxster!

Just published - fresh from testing in Portugal - he seems to like it! Nice colour too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dPKCqVegs

Retroman1969 04-12-2016 08:19 PM

I just saw that video in my cue earlier today and watched it. At least he's flogging it properly so we can better hear and see what it's capable of. I'm still on the fence about this car, but good vid.

Porsche9 04-12-2016 08:47 PM

Can't wait to take one for a spin at the new Porsche dealer opening just a few miles from the house. Matt's video shows promise.

Beer 04-13-2016 04:02 AM

When he first revved it up, it sounded like a beetle with a cherry bomb muffler.

thstone 04-13-2016 06:30 AM

Every reviewer/writer/journalist loves every Porsche. If they don't, they aren't invited back to drive the next model.

With that being said, Porsche isn't likely to build a truly crap car so its easy to find good things to write about, but very, very rarely (never say never, but its almost never) will an automotive writer publish a negative appraisal of a new car when their ability to earn a living depends on manufacturer's giving them access to their new cars. Burn those bridges and a writer is effectively out of a job - which is simply not going to happen.

Almost everything that he says in the video was written by Porsche and provided in the press kit. All he does is recite it.

And I had to laugh when he said that he "ordered up the loaded model for testing"!! Hah. As if. He tested the same model as all of the other journalists who were invited to the event.

Sorry to sound so negative, but if you saw how these "test events" are conducted you'd walk away dismayed and never watch another one.

Perfectlap 04-13-2016 07:56 AM

^ I agree. At this stage of development now that the Boxster has been setting the bar in class for literally two decades, Porsche have to pretty much go out of their way to build a crap roadster.

The mystery to me is why the other makes have basically given Porsche the mid-engine mantle when the basic recipe can produce a car that's pretty much above average. Car makers that already sell a decent number of sports cars have the basic know how to build a great mid-engine car. Like for instance Chevy, they could have been selling a Boxster/Cayman mid engine car ages ago. Yet they still treat discussion about a mid-engine Corvette like it's a top secret military weapon and leave the GT4 to get all the press. Chevy, Mazda, etc. could build a car that handles as well, and is flat out quicker than all the 981's at a steep discount.

p.s.
My nearly 20 year old flat 6 with a Fabspeed exhaust sounds 1000X's better than this 718.
You should hear me light up the toll booth from a standing start. :)

jdraupp 04-13-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 491485)
Every reviewer/writer/journalist loves every Porsche. If they don't, they aren't invited back to drive the next model.

Explain Jeremy Clarkson to me then.

BIGJake111 04-13-2016 06:58 PM

I've said many times before. Porsche makes the best of everything. I hate SUVs, but Porsche makes the best one. I don't quite like hybrids but the cayanne e hybrid is a nice way to transport ones family. In the modern world Porsche has to produce a lot of things we don't like, but they make the best of these things. And while I am no fan of turbo sports cars or 4 cylinder sports cars, Porsche has by all means produced the best one on the market.

This has lost something the old boxster had. But I prefer it's styling to the 981 and it's about as quick as the GT4 around the ring without super sticky tires. So it's clearly very fast and the video proves it has a boxsters character. Also the tech and infotainment is tasteful and minimal. So props to Porsche I've come around on this car. I'd drop my money on the 981 spyder instead, but this is one nice car despite its less then ideal exhaust note.

dghii 04-13-2016 08:00 PM

I'm not on the fence on this car. I can't afford it.

thstone 04-13-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 491596)
Explain Jeremy Clarkson to me then.

"but very, very rarely (never say never, but its almost never) will an automotive writer publish a negative appraisal of a new car"

Sure, there are a few but they are rare.

Pominoz 04-14-2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbray (Post 491441)
Just published - fresh from testing in Portugal - he seems to like it! Nice colour too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dPKCqVegs

I like everything about this car apart from the engine. On paper this thing is great, and you can't argue with the performance. The trouble for me is that if you buy this type of car it has to be special in every aspect, it's the feel good factor. 4 pot engines belong in mass produced sensible a to b cars, not in an exotic sports car. A guy asked me the other day what the engine was in my Boxster, and I said a flat 6 with a grin on my face. Try that while saying flat 4, it doesn't work.Then you get to the sound, well I rather have that car with a less powerful 6 than that 4. Performance isn't a problem even in my 2.7, in fact it's enjoyable thrashing it. How much of the 718s performance could you really use on public roads. I'm not sure.

howe 04-14-2016 01:24 AM

Now throws the market open for all those 986 /7 's with broken engines to fit Subaru engines and not be frowned upon?

Retroman1969 04-14-2016 03:45 AM

Quote: "4 pot engines belong in mass produced sensible a to b cars, not in an exotic sports car."

I think this is a big factor. The only other $55,000+ performance car I can think of is the Alfa Romeo 4C.
My admittedly quick and sloppy research has revealed no others. Are there others? I found lots of fast capable performance oriented cars with 4 cylinders, but nearly all are under $35,000. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?

Ultimately, this won't affect most of us who buy used, and there are many years worth of clean 986s, 987s, and 981s to pick from.
I guess I'm just more curious about Porsches future on an emotional level since I have been a fan of their work for so long.

BIGJake111 04-14-2016 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 491628)
Quote: "4 pot engines belong in mass produced sensible a to b cars, not in an exotic sports car."

I think this is a big factor. The only other $55,000+ performance car I can think of is the Alfa Romeo 4C.
My admittedly quick and sloppy research has revealed no others. Are there others? I found lots of fast capable performance oriented cars with 4 cylinders, but nearly all are under $35,000. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?

Ultimately, this won't affect most of us who buy used, and there are many years worth of clean 986s, 987s, and 981s to pick from.
I guess I'm just more curious about Porsches future on an emotional level since I have been a fan of their work for so long.

I'm pretty sure you can get a 7 series with a 4 pot now. Apparently value is no longer in the engine, at least in the new market. Used there may be an issue.

The 968 4 pot was priced higher then the 982 considering inflation I think.... It is one of the worst selling Porsche's of all time.

Retroman1969 04-14-2016 05:31 AM

Okay, I was thinking there was a BMW where a turbo 4 had replaced the 6 in one of its trims, but I couldn't remember which one. Thanks! :)

BIGJake111 04-14-2016 05:56 AM

Yeah and while the z4 has a 6 the base is a 2.5 and it's soon to be replaced, likely with a 4 cylinders. Slk just got replaced with slc and those are all 4 except for the AMG which is only a 6.

Porsche9 04-14-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 491634)
Okay, I was thinking there was a BMW where a turbo 4 had replaced the 6 in one of its trims, but I couldn't remember which one. Thanks! :)

While not a sports car the 5 series BMW has a 4 cylinder option. The new Mercedes E-class also has a 4 cylinder now. For me it a turn off especially when you consider the money you have lay out for these cars. It's doesn't seem to matter to the consumer though. I'm not so sure that will be the case for a expensive sports car. For me a 2.5l turbo six would have been much more desirable.

ReallyDirtyThirty 04-14-2016 08:42 AM

Why not have both?

Probably my favorite thing on my 986 is the wail of flat-6 as it spins past 5,000rpm. Its intoxicating. I'll never get rid of my car because it puts such a smile on face every time I drive it simply for the sound it makes.

However...

Porsche needed to improve fuel economy AND increase the performance on the new models. The cheapest and easiest way to this is to come out with a boosted engine. I can't really fault them for it, but I agree, the new car does not sound nearly as good as the old car, which makes the total package a lot less romantic and appealing to many. For many of us, romance is a big factor that determines how much enjoyment we derive from our sports cars.

On the other hand, 350hp out of the box in a 3000lbs mid-engine car right out of the box is damn impressive. The other thing to keep in mind with turbo-charged cars is the availability to inexpensively (relatively speaking) add tremendous power to the stock engine. I predict that for a minimal investment (compared to the MSRP of the car), new 718S owners will be able to tune their cars to make anywhere from 420-450hp without extensive modifications. Given the other running gear on the car (carbon brakes, 7-speed PDK, PASM suspension) I think you're going to see these tuned cars become absolutely wicked track machines. I predict they will punch wildly above their weight class and embarrass a lot of serious cars.

It is a slow day at the office so I put this together for reference. Lets assume that a 718S with a tune and some mild upgrades will be able to make 440hp. As a comparison:

------------------- H.P. --- Gears --- Weight (lbs)

Porsche 718S: --- 440 -- --- 7 ------- 3050
Ferrari F40: ------ 471 -- --- 5 ------- 3000
Audi R8: ---------- 440 -- -- 6 -------- 3400
C6 Vette Z06: ---- 505 -- --- 6 ------- 3200
Ferrari F430: ------ 490 -- --- 6 ------ 3300
911 997 turbo: ---- 473 -- -- 6 -- ---- 3200

I won't drone on, but I think you guys get my point. The mid-engine layout of the 718S is superior to the Vette and the 911. These new cars are going to have the capability to be VERY fast. In that regard, the new machines are a great leap forward compared to previous generations of Boxsters.

That being said, I'll probably never be good enough on the track to even take full advantage of my bone stock 986, so I'll continue to stick with the flat-6 symphony as it always has put a smile on my face.

boxxster 04-14-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReallyDirtyThirty (Post 491676)
The other thing to keep in mind with turbo-charged cars is the availability to inexpensively (relatively speaking) add tremendous power to the stock engine. I predict that for a minimal investment (compared to the MSRP of the car), new 718S owners will be able to tune their cars to make anywhere from 420-450hp without extensive modifications.

I was just about to say this. The tuning potential of modern turbo engines is ridiculous. A $500 canned tune on an S3 or 235i for instance gets you like 60whp. No joke. I'd imagine similar options will be available for the 718. Engine noise aside, the car will be quite a thrill to drive with 400+ hp. Can't argue with that.

Ben006 04-14-2016 10:07 AM

I don't care if it's missing two cylinder, if I could afford one, I probably would!