Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Motor Mount / Tranny Mount / Or me ?

Hi all,

I have an 04 Boxster S with a manual transmission - car has 140K miles now. Waking it up from it's winter slumber - at least trying to if mother nature would cooperate. Have a few trips planned coming up and wanted to get the car in tip top shape to enjoy all summer.

I have noticed a sort of clank or bang that occurs occasionally when starting off in first gear and sometimes in second gear when shifting into that.

I've done some reading on the boards and do not find one thing that seems like a solid match for what the problem could be.

I think it may be the motor mount starting to go - but I do not get a lot of vibration, noise when turning (clanks), and I don't feel anything unusual on the shift handle when this occurs. There is some intermittent issue shifting into second gear when the car is cold, but having read about that I think it is unrelated (I did recently change the transmission oil which seems to have improved that issue).

I would be inclined to think the motor mount would be more likely than the tranny mounts from what I read, but throwing it out there in case anyone else has an idea on this.

My wife suspects it is just me and not getting a smooth shift when it occurs but even if I am extra careful it will still happen once in a while.

Could it be something with the clutch mechanism?

Any inout to help track this down would be appreciated. Thanks

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

Look at the front motor mount, common complaint.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Look at the front motor mount, common complaint.
Is there a way to inspect the motor mount without removing it?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
Is there a way to inspect the motor mount without removing it?
Usually you just see if it is torn internally, but you should also be able to move it easily and the mount will probably be tilted downward slightly.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-08-2016 at 10:22 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

Garage
If your motor mount has never been replaced you need to do it. Not a hard job. My advice is to get the whole 987 mount not just the insert. Mine was completely separated from the mount at 90k miles. Engine clunking at take off. Not good.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #6

Another telltale is to have someone watch the exhaust pipe tips when you start driving off - a worn front engine mount will cause the exhaust tips to drop as you accelerate away.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #7

I think I am going to get the replacement - whole thing not just the insert.
Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Motor Mount - (986/987)

I have a mechanic who I am going to have do the labor - just not comfortable trying to do this on my back, in my driveway, with a floor jack. I don't mind doing some stuff, but this is out of my comfort level.

With that - is there anything else I should consider having done at the same time to save labor costs long term?

Last edited by soxfan1966; 04-08-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
Project Addicted

There is lots to do when down there. These are some parts that live in the part of the belly of the beast!

Fuel filter
Water pump
Belt
Thermostat
Hoses

Lots of "while you are in there" things to do.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

Confirmed bad motor mount. I had ordered one (link in my previous post) it arrived yesterday. Brought to my mechanic who had it installed today (2 hours labor charge, worth it in my opinion).

Here is a pic of the new mount (took this morning):

Here is the old one (after it was removed):

Could definitely tell the difference after - no clunk and shifting was improved. Will see how things go after I get a chance to drive it a little more.