986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Top Won't Open (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61131-top-wont-open.html)

samg1965 04-07-2016 08:03 AM

Top Won't Open

2002 Boxster....

Opened yesterday, won't open today. When I unlatch the top, the two windows drop, but when I push the button to open, nothing happens. One observation.... When the parking brake is engaged, the dash light doesn't come on (although it lights with the others upon startup). Last week I returned home after being away for a few months and my battery was dead for an extended period. There have been some "buggy" things happening such as the oil light being on when I wasn't low, the stereo not powering up, etc.... I don't know if the parking brake may be another 'buggy" programming issue, perhaps a sensor somewhere, or whether or not this is the cause of the top not opening. It's been working fine up until today.

Fintro11 04-07-2016 08:12 AM

Ignition switch / your parking brake micro switch

Both problems are most likely un related, both are simple to do

Ignition switch you can use the vw/Audi part ( Google )
Micro switch is simple too there are some diy on here

samg1965 04-07-2016 09:38 AM

Update.... After raising and lowing the brake lever a few times, the console light came back on... The convertible top subsequently started to work again!!!

Fintro11.... The ignition switch was replaced last year as it wasn't retracting back into potition after starting. Likely the parking micro switch. Thanks!!!

78F350 04-07-2016 10:01 AM

The top wouldn't close on one of mine. I was able to pull out the ash tray and trim surrounding it, then poke the switch at the base of the brake lever to get it working. Maybe next week, I'll pull out the whole center console and replace it. Having the top stuck open at the wrong time can be bad.

dghii 04-07-2016 10:21 AM

Just bypass the switch! Easy to do and you don't have to worry about it. The dash indicator will still work when you use your parking break but your top control module won't be looking at the micro-switch.

Luckyed 04-07-2016 11:48 AM

I had the same problem.
Installed the Comfort Top module.
Problem solved AND a much better set-up.

flouese 04-08-2016 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 490640)
Just bypass the switch! Easy to do and you don't have to worry about it. The dash indicator will still work when you use your parking break but your top control module won't be looking at the micro-switch.

How do you do this?

samg1965 04-10-2016 06:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys... Good information.

mikesz 04-11-2016 10:59 AM

I had similar problem. Replaced the micro switch in the console and then did the relay hack by bending the 2 tabs and soldering a jumper in the relay.