986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The feeling (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61074-feeling.html)

Crib 04-03-2016 10:12 AM

The feeling

Bought my Boxster last fall, just a couple of weeks before putting it to seasonal rest.

I had then searched "Blocket", Swedens craiglist, for 3 years. My strategy had changed a couple of years ago when I learned that the daily driver did not need to be that special and instead go for a fun weekend and summer car.

I Sweden there's this expression called "Jantelagen", The law of Jante. The meaning of it is more or less that jealousy is a national phenomenon. Noone should be or have anything more than others. Kinda communistic if you will...

I hate that kind of thinking but realise that you of course are affected by the socitety you live in. "Arent that neighbour looking a bit odd at us now" I asked my wife when entering our driveway last fall.

I know that almost everyone in my neighbourhood has a summer cottage worth 20 times my Boxster, or goes on vacations yearly for the value of my Boxster etc.

During the winter break I've had time to both do some minor projects in the garage, but also kind of melt the above fact, which of course should not have been a fact to start with.

.... But now, when taking out the Boxster for the spring. Hearing it starting on the first crank due to being on battery maintanter, hearing the boxer engine makes me filled with pure happiness.

I live on the outskirts of our small capital of Stockholm, with curvy country side roads around the corner. So i take the car out for a spin, careful since the winters gravel is still on the roads.

THE FEELING!!!

The pure and honest feeling of driving this amazing wonder of technical fullfillment. It's like holding the tarmac in your hands. It's like feeling settled in a relationship when you find out that from 3500rpm into a corner you will have control and power out of that same corner in a way that makes you inevitable to smile.

The feeling of taking corners where the daily driver would just scream for mercy.

I stop besides the road, in the sunny spring day. Put down the roof and feel the air that is still not as warm as the scenery would predict. The Boxster is ready to thrust onwards is patiently waiting until I'm ready to go. No stress today.

Ah... sorry for being a bit philosophical but man this was a great day with my Boxster :)

:)

particlewave 04-03-2016 10:23 AM

It's a great feeling, indeed. :D

The jealousy...I get that here all the time, even though most have a car that is worth 2-3 times as much. They see the Porsche crest and assume.

boxxster 04-03-2016 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know what you mean. I didn't really connect with my boxster when I first drove it. I spent about 2 months fixing it up before I could drive it, so perhaps my expectations were too high. But the first time I took it out with the top down in some nice weather it all started to make sense to me.

Regarding the jealousy aspect, my car showed up on a flatbed looking like this, so I'm sure my neighbours don't think too much of it!

husker boxster 04-03-2016 11:08 AM

An oldie, but goody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGTv7lMY9XA

rexcramer 04-03-2016 11:57 AM

I was promised a raise in December that turned into a "sorry, they turned it down" in February. Guess who is the only one driving a Porsche? :eek:

The bosses drive cars worth 3 or 4 times what I spent for a 20 year old Boxster.

The joy I get from driving this car far surpasses any sense of monetary loss. These cars are good for the soul. :p

The story ends well, tomorrow is the last day of my 2 week notice. :dance:

thstone 04-03-2016 01:35 PM

Every time that I get into one of my Porsche's, I smile.
Every morning when I drive to work, I smile.
Every evening, when I drove home from work, I smile.
Every time that I race my Boxster, I smile.

That feeling never gets old. :)

BruceH 04-04-2016 02:23 PM

The smile, the feeling....it never goes away:cheers:

joecal 04-04-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 489997)

That was a goody, I never saw it. I had some of those cars in my past, Triumphs, Datsun 280's, Jaguars, Corvettes, and now a Porsche Boxster. I wish I would have kept some of those cars. When driving the Boxster the feeling is similar to when driving a Corvette, maybe not as fast but the feeling is similar at least to me it is.

GaryMulcahey 04-04-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 490009)
The joy I get from driving this car far surpasses any sense of monetary loss. These cars are good for the soul. :p:

Totally. Many things are good for the soul. My Boxster is right up there with sex and being creative at the top of my list.

G

Jim Rockford 04-04-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crib (Post 489987)
It's like holding the tarmac in your hands.
:)

Great line!

aczyzewski 04-04-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

I was promised a raise in December that turned into a "sorry, they turned it down" in February. Guess who is the only one driving a Porsche? :eek:

The bosses drive cars worth 3 or 4 times what I spent for a 20 year old Boxster.

The joy I get from driving this car far surpasses any sense of monetary loss. These cars are good for the soul. :p

Good for you.

VGM911 04-05-2016 03:24 AM

Quote:

Best of luck!

kk2002s 04-05-2016 03:30 AM

The anticipation to start my drive
Driving, Top down, the sounds, the exhaust note, the intake roar @ 5k RPMs
Entering a Hwy, the rush up to 90+ in 3rd
Pin-point steering accuracy
The feeling:p

An odd sound from behind me.
Temp gauge climbs a bit.
A stutter in the idle at a red light
The feeling:confused: